AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible and/or cost-effective to replace the screen material in a motorized screen mount? I have a Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Tensioned which I purchased secondhand a few years ago for a good price. The motor works great and is convenient given this is in the living room, and being tensioned it is flat as a board. However, the screen itself could use some improvement:

1) it's 4:3, which doesn't match the aspect ratio of my Sanyo Z2.

2) it's 84" diag or so, which for my living room forces me to use the smallest zoom on the Z2. (Being tensioned, it has a much wider case than the screen, so perhaps a wider non-tensioned screen could fit in the case.

3) it's matte white, which I'm not sure is the best match for the Z2, but worse I have no ambient light control from big picture windows, so I'm thinking about the high-power grey screens that are getting a lot of discussion right now.

4) the surface has some cleaning streaks from perhaps overly aggressive cleaning in the past that appear to be permanent, not that noticeable during a movie, but viewable when looking at the screen off-angle and during bright movie backgrounds.

It looks like the screen material just wraps around a large motorized drum, but I don't know how it is attached to the drum itself (without opening up the case). The bottom edge looks like it's just screwed into a metal weighted bar.

I read here that many people buy a pulldown screen and remove the material for DIY fixed mounting, is it cost-effective to buy same and try to attach it to the drum? Or would it be most cost-effective to just buy a new electric screen if I want to upgrade the screen material?

(Guessing this is not a DIY Screen forum topic, seems more about screen and frame materials in that forum...)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The fabric that's glued to the drum has to be put on very carefully. If you try this yourself you need a way to be absolutely sure your square to the drum on a large table of some kind.

The other concern is the transition of the end of the cloth and the drum. Any ridge that sticks up will be transfered to the surface leaving a line thru your picture. Sometimes it takes a long time for these to disapear.

You might call the manufacturer, they might do it for you for a small fee of course.

David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.