Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm in the process of redoing our A/V system and was wondering if it time to replace

my Sony str4es. I'm taking delivery of a JVC 56" tv next week and bought a pair of

Athena ws100 for mains. I was using 3 omnisats for mains and was going to use them as surrounds. I have an older Infinity small sub. Would there be any advantage to new electronics? I know this is kinda vague,but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zaxdad

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think that the DA-4ES is still a very viable receiver. Unless you're prepared to spend a lot more than you paid for the Sony I don't think that you're going to gain. It seems that the only mode missing is PLIIX and I'm not so sure that's worth the expense of a new unit.

I'm not familiar with the Athena ws100's that your getting but will say that when I tried my 4ES with my B&W N804's that I use for surrounds in my main system it sounded great and had plenty of power. You should try it with your new speakers then decide. I doubt that there will be any issues. One other thing to consider is adding an outboard 2-channel amp if you want more power to your mains. This is certianly less expensive than a new receiver and is a great way to improve the dynamics of your system if you find it lacking

and the Sony will support an outboard amp.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can still return the Athenas, but would like to find something similar looking. We're relocating to western N.C. from the S.F. bay area and the choice of stores sure is limited. Can't find the Def Techs so I figured I would try the Athenas.

Thanks for your input.

zaxdad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.