AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony W60 unit started showing signs of "stress" - if you paused anything and then tried to watch it, playback would often freeze and the entire box reboot itself. This also started happening on recorded material. Calling support elicited the suggestion that it's a disk problem. OK, no problem, I'll upgrade the disk. Followed instructions and got everything back and working with a WD1200BB. However, although the symptoms have changed - playback after pausing now gives bouts of pixellation, lost sound and blanks screens - this has clearly not fixed things.

Fan works; unit is in the open and reasonably cool; everything that's checkable seems fine. I suspect a disk controller problem but have no way to check this.

Anyone else got any good ideas or had similar experiences?

:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your problem may well be the drive controller or a bad memory location, but it would be much easier to check the incoming signal integrity first. If it is erratic, it may be the cause of your signal falling apart upon playback. If at all possible, obtain and hook up a known good dish with a different cable to confirm that the receiver per se is the problem. If that's not it and no one else has any suggestions, I'd pick up a replacement receiver asap, while you still can.. cheaper than trying to fix your current one + sell the problematical one for whatever it's worth to some poor, broke, desperate enthuasist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried different transponders but without noticing any difference. Another way to check things would be to run with just one tuner operational and switch cables into that input to see if there's any difference. I'll give this a go. Yes, I too think the disk controller is the most likely suspect.

(Every time I've checked signal strength it's at 90% on both tuners, and the problems happen irrespective of the weather. All day yesterday it was bright and sunny).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like video/mpeg decoder failure.. or memory failure.

Pause, special effects is done from memory segments as is normal play... 10 sec skips..

Drive failure you get reboots and continuous (normal) playback problems.

Take that old drive unlock it then run manufactures diagnostic on it, that may tell you if the drive ok.

The fact you loaded the new os on the drive kind of eliminates the controller and drive also???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I think you are right about memory being part of it, but the original failure mode included reboots etc. before I swapped disks so I think there's still something in that area. I'll try some more investigation but basically have given up and ordered a new W60 while such things still exist ... choice are increasingly limited these days.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also ... when UTV encounters a major fault, if it can't correct the problem (error handlers) it will log the error then trap out and do a system restart.. (reboot) AKA crash! ;)

So a reboot by itself doesn't necessarily indicate its the drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.