AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HD on my 4040 died, so I got a new one, and thanks to rtvpatch guys, and mikeyboy's images, I loaded a new image onto a 80 GB maxtor and replaced it. The Replay boots up fine, but when I try to use any of the menus it just sends me to the service activation menu. When I go to sonic blue's site and try to activate it they tell me it's already been activated. Am I stuch? Help!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
has the unit tried to phone home yet? Probably when it does it will reactivate.

Robert

·
Registered
388 Posts
382-zones reset

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
243-Zones should get you to the screen where you can do a net connect. It'll then get re-activated.

-Gary

·
Registered
388 Posts
You need to reset to factory defaults after using any drive image that didn't come from the same machine.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pu82
You need to reset to factory defaults after using any drive image that didn't come from the same machine.
Not true, been there, done that. A net connect is sufficient.

-Gary

·
Registered
388 Posts
From jtl in an earlier thread:

"Any 4.3-running system (4500 or 4000 that's been updated), when loaded with an image from another machine, will revert to unactivated. In the initial experiments, that was corrected as soon as a nightly connect was forced with 243-zone. Is that no longer happening?

The 'problem', if there is one, is because the activation data is stored in the registry, on disk, along with authorization data that verifies that the activation data is correct. The authorization data is dependant on the serial number; when it's running with activation & authorization data from a different machine, it looks as if the activation data had been modified, so it reverts to the least-activated state. "

The 382-zones reset clears all of the data from the registry.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=171126

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I stand by my earlier statement because I have done it with a 4504 and a 5040 using a downloaded image. A net connect is all that is required to re-activate the unit. A factory reset is not necessary.

-Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help, the net connect fixed all my problems. I had been using a install proceedure with a typo, and putting in 234-zones to get to the menu (had never seen it before). Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
388 Posts
The downloaded images you used may have been factory reset images and the 382-zones reset has already been done.

You can stand by your statement and your 2 data points as much as you want but for a brand new drive replacement, it is always a good idea to reset to factory defaults.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pu82
The downloaded images you used may have been factory reset images and the 382-zones reset has already been done.
Nope, sorry. They both had guide data for another system, indicating a reset had NOT been done.

A factory reset may be a good idea but is not necessary to get the box re-activated, which was the original question.

Enough of this, I know what I've seen and experienced.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
A factory reset may well be a good idea for other reasons, but it doesn't seem to be necessary for activation -- that's now *three* data points, and they form a straight line!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Sounds like if I'm getting new units and planning on upgrading, I should do it immediately, before I activate em
Not sure which route you are taking. I don't think this stuff affects you if

you are planning on copying the OS from your existing drive, so you could

do it in any order.

If you are doing multiple units then it is probably simpler to upgrade

before activating.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Yeah... I think I'd be better off (thinking of either 2 or 3 new 5000's) just pulling the drives on all of them and upgrading when they arrive, THEN activate. Just to avoid any problems..

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
you may want to wait a bit before upgrading your replay. Remember opening the case voids the warranty. If there is a bad component it is more likely to fail within the first month. Nothing would be worse than to upgrade your replay and have a power supply capacitor blow and damage the system leaving your with an expensive upgraded paper weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.