AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a basic HT set-up, and my receiver died. The other parts of the system are: 50" Panasonic plasma TV (2007); Dish 722 (will upgrade to Hopper soon); old Sony PS3 (mainly to play DVDs); Roku; 5.1 sound with Cambridge Soundworks speakers (100 watt?). The non-working AVR is a Pioneer VSX-921. My HT system is hard-wire networked with my computer system.

I run everything through the AVR...in from Dish, PS3, Roku etc...and out to TV using HDMI. Control with a Logitech Harmony One. All was working fine. I don't want to change other elements of my system, just replace the AVR with a new one.

It can be a very basic unit, but one which works well and is durable. I suspect the killer for my Pioneer AVR was heat. I have a shelved TV stand and the space for the AVR is about 7.75" high while the AVR unit is 7" high. Not enough airspace for heat to escape probably...I have excellent hindsight! In the future I plan to place the new AVR on the top (open) shelf, but the TV starts about 8.5" from that shelf, so I prefer an AVR which is not tall...actually 7" or less would be perfect, but it could go to almost 9" if necessary (placement would just be trickier).

So that's it, price is not the primary consideration, but I suspect a basic unit w/o a lot of bells and whistles will not be pricey either.

Recommendations appreciated

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a basic HT set-up, and my receiver died. The other parts of the system are: 50" Panasonic plasma TV (2007); Dish 722 (will upgrade to Hopper soon); old Sony PS3 (mainly to play DVDs); Roku; 5.1 sound with Cambridge Soundworks speakers (100 watt?). The non-working AVR is a Pioneer VSX-921. My HT system is hard-wire networked with my computer system.

I run everything through the AVR...in from Dish, PS3, Roku etc...and out to TV using HDMI. Control with a Logitech Harmony One. All was working fine. I don't want to change other elements of my system, just replace the AVR with a new one.

It can be a very basic unit, but one which works well and is durable. I suspect the killer for my Pioneer AVR was heat. I have a shelved TV stand and the space for the AVR is about 7.75" high while the AVR unit is 7" high. Not enough airspace for heat to escape probably...I have excellent hindsight! In the future I plan to place the new AVR on the top (open) shelf, but the TV starts about 8.5" from that shelf, so I prefer an AVR which is not tall...actually 7" or less would be perfect, but it could go to almost 9" if necessary (placement would just be trickier).

So that's it, price is not the primary consideration, but I suspect a basic unit w/o a lot of bells and whistles will not be pricey either.

Recommendations appreciated
Any plans to go to 7 channels or 4k?

Edit: Ignore the above question. I'd probably recommend the Denon AVR-X2000.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2000/denon-avr-x2000-7.1-ch-x-95-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No plans on upgrading my HT set-up now. The new AVR must be compatible with my current set-up. I should mention a few things. The main device connectors are HDMI, so I need at least 4-5 in and 1-2 out (really only to the TV). My speaker wires have "plain" connection ends...that is just the twisted bare wire.

In 3-5 years when I start thinking of upgrading, I will change TV, DVD player, and AVR...all at once, but not now.

EDIT: didn't see the last line...the Denon looks interesting

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can get a decent Yamaha or Denon for well under $500 at Accessories4less.com They are all factory rebuilt, recertified units with manufacturers warranty as A4L is an authorized dealer for all they sell. Many people on here swear by them.

Another option is to go the Amazon route. Find a receiver you like then look at the purchase options. Many times you will find an "open box" version with significant discounts and if an authorized dealer, it will still have the full mfg warranty.

Also, Yamaha and Marantz make slim line receivers that might fit your space better. There a 4 options for those under $400.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess my system is older than I thought. I use a Logitech Harmony One to control ALL my current devices. They are all in the Logitech data-base and the Harmony One remote works perfectly. However neither the Denon AVR-X2000 or the Marantz NR1504 are in the Logitech data-base. These 2 receivers seem to be controlled by IOS or Android apps, but I don't think I can control my whole system that way. Maybe need to do more research.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Guess my system is older than I thought. I use a Logitech Harmony One to control ALL my current devices. They are all in the Logitech data-base and the Harmony One remote works perfectly. However neither the Denon AVR-X2000 or the Marantz NR1504 are in the Logitech data-base. These 2 receivers seem to be controlled by IOS or Android apps, but I don't think I can control my whole system that way. Maybe need to do more research.
You shouldn't have an issue getting them to work with a Harmony One remote, even if using a different receiver code.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see any based on what you want now. You could spend a bit more and a more powerful amp section, but with that one has pre-outs so you can add more power to the front channels. Can't beat it for the price.
These are refurbished units, but I thought it would be fine for a few years, so I ordered it. It did not work out so well. Intermittently failed to power on/off. Re-plugging or jiggling the plug in the AVR seemed to help for a while. But I had to consider the unit unreliable, so I returned it. Cost me a bit for return shipping and still waiting to see if Accessories4less will play games and charge me a restocking fee. If they do, I will end up eating a good chunk of the cost, so it was no bargain.

I started to program my Harmony One, and that seemed to be going well, but then I ran into the on/off problem with the units original remote, so I stopped. Still, I'm wondering if the Harmony One would have worked with the Marantz NR1504 as it has an RF based remote. Maybe it would not have detected the signal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts