AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DVD player recently died and I am looking for replacement. I have an Hitachi 57x500 RPTV. I have been told that the upscaler in my TV is better than most of the upscalers in players available and as such I will most likely output in 480i. I have read the reviews of the more popular players out there at this time; Denon 3910, Pioneer avi59, and the new Yamaha s2500. My sales guy is recommending the s2500, but I've seen several negative reviews and am sceptical. I also wonder if these players have more features than I will ever use.

Movies are my first priority followed by music. At this time I am not interested in SACD or DVDa. I like a picture that is sharp and not too soft. I am also trying to keep the price reasonable ($1500 is not).

What advice can the experts offer?

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
The 59ai and 3910 are both excellent. IMO, the Yamaha is definitely not as good as the other 2 (your local guy is probably recommending it because he's stuck with more of them in stock - I have not seen one single thread here preferring the Yammy over either of hte other 2 players). If you are not interested at all in SACD or DVD-A, then you might want to save some $$ and consider the Denon 2910 or 1920 (they also play SACD and DVD-A, but much of the additional price of the 3910 is going for much better audio DACs that it sounds like you don't really care about). If you have an MB problem with your display and Faroudja players, then the 59ai is the best choice. If you don't have MB, then I would recommend the 3910 or 2910.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill thanks for the reply. That is the kind of info I am looking for. I have not had a chance to closely look at the 59ai and with the impending release of the 79ai this might be a great time to pick up one.

Can you describe what MB is? I hear a lot about the Faroudja chip having this problem but I guess I am not sure what it is.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
MB is a problem of the current Faroudja chip, which has been incorporated into many DVD players, including Denon 1910, 2910, 3910, and 1920, Yamaha S1500 and S2500, Zenith 318, Oppo, Panasonic S97 and S77, Samsung 941, etc, etc. Fortunately, it is very display dependent (I have never seen it with my Samsung HLN DLP). From what I have read, at times during movies, objects start breaking down into little blocks, that can make the movie pretty unwatchable. Just buy form a store wiht a good return policy in case it is a problem with your display.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.