AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Denon 988 is not doing well, the main speaker inputs are no longer functioning and the center channel terminal is broken along with a few other issues. So I need a replacement and would like to stick with Denon but maybe something 1-2 years old to keep costs reasonable. I'm using Aperion 6T floor standing mains with the matching center, rear, and an HSU VTF3 MK3 sub. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
91,809 Posts
The current successor model to your 988 is the X4000 and would be your best bet as it uses the even more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32. If you're not interested in better audio quality, then the predecessor 3313CI would be another good bet for several hundred $$$ less and uses the same MultEQ XT as does the 988. Depending on what features/inputs/outputs you need, you may also want to consider dropping down to the X2000 as well which also uses the same Audyssey MultEQ XT.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1524929/replacement-for-denon-avr-988#post_24546341

The current successor model to your 988 is the X4000 and would be your best bet as it uses the even more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32. If you're not interested in better audio quality, then the predecessor 3313CI would be another good bet for several hundred $$$ less and uses the same MultEQ XT as does the 988. Depending on what features/inputs/outputs you need, you may also want to consider dropping down to the X2000 as well which also uses the same Audyssey MultEQ XT.

SQ is the biggest factor for me in an upgrade. Using an HDMI splitter has not been an issue but when considering an upgrade I want to make sure the power is an upgrade as well as SQ.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1524929/replacement-for-denon-avr-988#post_24547021

^^

Power upgrade for what? To make any difference in power between these models you would have to add an external 200W+ amp.
Sorry, I just meant not a downgrade, the current power is fine. When I bought the 988 I was cautioned about getting something with less power based on the avr it was replacing at the time. Since I'm not well versed in such things I just wanted to make sure I'm not stepping back in any area before considering the x4000.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
For $1000 you can get a NAD T758, which is less than the x4000, and IMO it has much better sound quality than the Denon.

Published power specs are nonsense and not even worth looking at. They do not predict sound quality.

Almost every receiver on the market has enough POWER for most speakers; the issue is the amount of DISTORTION they produce when doing it.

Any amplifier has virtually zero distortion when connected to an 8 ohm resistor, but the distortion will be much much higher when driving the electrically complex load of a speaker system.

Unfortunately, there are no published specs that tell you whether the peak distortion will be 1% OR 5% when driving a particular set of speakers, because every speaker system presents a different load.

The only way you can tell how well-designed the receiver's amplifiers and power supply are designed is to LISTEN (or test it with a $40,000 distortion analyzer).

Anyone who says that all amplifiers sound alike is no engineer; any engineer who has sat down with amplifiers/receivers and SPEAKERS and a distortion analyzer will tell you that the differences in distortion are HUGE from one receiver to another!

·
Premium Member
91,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi  /t/1524929/replacement-for-denon-avr-988/0_100#post_24547528

Sorry, I just meant not a downgrade, the current power is fine. When I bought the 988 I was cautioned about getting something with less power based on the avr it was replacing at the time. Since I'm not well versed in such things I just wanted to make sure I'm not stepping back in any area before considering the x4000.

The 988 is only 110W so anything within 20W of that (eg. 90W) would still be more than sufficient. The X4000 is a 125W AVR.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Aperion 6T speakers have a sensitivity of 91db/watt. That is such a high sensitivity that the power required is minimal.

50 watts is more than enough to drive those speakers, IF the DISTORTION is kept below 1% when driving all 5 speakers, which most receivers cannot do.

NAD and Cambridge Audio are the receivers that give the lowest distortion when driving real SPEAKERS and sound the best.

The NAD T758 guarantees 60 watts per channel WITH ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN AND ONLY 0.08% DISTORTION. NO DENON RECEIVER even GIVES any comparable spec for all channels driven! If they did, you would see how bad they are! That's why they won't, and don't.

And Denon is probably a bit better than Yamaha, Pioneer, and Onkyo, which are really really bad!

(note- the X4000 is rated to put out 125 watts to TWO channels only, with a RESISTOR load. Driving 5 channels of real SPEAKERS, it will probably put out a maximum of about 40 to 50 watts per channel, with a peak distortion of 2% to 6 %, depending on the speakers being driven. Anyone who thinks it can put out more than that is a babe in the woods, and needs a reality check...lol. )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts