AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Take Classic 5.0, and have read a lot of old threads about how the 10.3 is a great sub and great value to pair with the 5 other speakers. Unfortunately, it's discontinued, and no one has it in stock anymore. Is there an equivalent that's worth looking at from Energy in their new line, or should I be looking at a different sub? Trying to stay within that same price range, with the entire 5.1 being around $450 - $500 (lower the better obviously, but definitely looking for quality).

Also, any suggestions for a receiver under $400 - $500 to complete my setup? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS sorry about the cross post, I wasn't sure whether to put this in speakers or subs.

·
Premium Member
13,386 Posts
There's no need to match your sub to your speakers, so you've got lots of options. Best bang-for-buck is the Klipsch RW-12d , when on sale at Newegg.com for ~$300...which it currently is: $279 until April 24.

Another option is the JBL ES250P , currently on sale at Amazon.com (under the name ES250PBK) for $199, shipped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll look into those. The 10" sub seemed attractive just for size reasons (trying to stay compact). Are there any 10" that are as good as the s10.3 was? Or value/quality wise does it make more sense to look at the 12" subs?

·
Premium Member
13,386 Posts
The S10.3 could be had for ~$200 on sale. At that price, and IMO, it was an incredible value.

These days, I don't think there's any 10" sub at or around that price that compares. The 10" SVS PB-1000 is well-rated and a solid value, but it goes for $499 (shipped). Not only is that on the upper end of your budget range, but once you get to ~$500, there are other, and perhaps even better, options for just a bit more money.

For ~$200, the JBL ES250P seems like a solid deal. For ~$300, the RW-12d is the way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts