AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 400 disk dvd changers hooked up to my control4 system and want to replace them or at least one of them for a storage device that I would burn my dvds and new blurays to. I currently have at least 150 blurays and around 550 dvds.

I think that I would like to get around 16tb of storage for everything and eliminate the dvd changers but I am new to the whole setup and would like some suggestions. I am thinking I will use anydvd for the burning of the disks but I am unfamiliar with what to buy as far as disk storage and os. I beleive that control4 will eventually have a way to integrate it into my current setup so I am not too worried about the setup and how to get to disks on a long term decision.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Adam

·
Registered
236 Posts
Start browsing the Home Theater Computer forums, lots of info. Most people I think have started building dedicated servers for what you want. It gets costly as with that much space you will start looking into backing up and getting into RAID for fault tolerance.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I understand this right I need to have a htpc and also a server if I want multiple bays to do at least 16tb? Or could the htpc be built into the server also.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i have figured that I do not need a htpc. Only a NAS. I like the NORCO 20 bay unit. I think its the 4020 and I am going to use Raid 6 with 2tb drives. I wont buy 20 hdd yet but I will start with probably 10 2tb western digital hdds. I am told that I need a NAS with DLNA but after the case and hdds I am lost. I do need a bluraydrive to burn my disks to the server and I dont think that the NORCO case has an option for that. I read the sticky about suggested cases but it seemed a bit older and I am looking for what is out now. I would greatly appreciate help in this matter as I have no clue as to what to add after the case and hdds in order to make a NAS that is DLNA capable.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldnt I just add an external bluray player to my macbook or my pc and store it over my network to this device? I'm not sure how people normally get the burn of a bluray or dvd to the NAS. And if I do this is it preferred to be wired to the network rather than wireless?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. So I am figuring 10 2tb WD hdds in a NORCO 4020 rack along with:

PSU: Corsair TX850W CMPSU-850TX 850W, $104.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5200+ ADO5200DOBOX 2.7GHz AM2, $57.

CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler, $0.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AM2+ AMD 780G chipset ATX, $90.

Memory: A-DATA ADQVE1A16K DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $27.

Graphics: Radeon HD 3200 (integrated in the chipset), $0.

HBA I: Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8-port SATA Controller PCI-X Card, $100.

HBA II: Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8-port SATA Controller PCI-X Card, $100.

HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $70.

I got this from the htpc sticky thread. Ill use this equipment or the newer pieces to build the server I have a few questions that I cannot find out.

How do I make sure this will be DLNA capable for future applications

What is needed to make this Raid6 capable

Is the NORCO case really loud. Should I consider the Chenbro case with cages instead to reduce noise? I know its preference but how loud does it get?

I was told that if I then want to add another 10 hdds in the future that I could add a second Raid6 setup rather than redoing it all. Is this correct.

I think thats all. If it is I am going to buy all of this and an external bluray drive and start burning my stuff to hdd. I have about 500 dvds and 200 blurays so its gonna take me a while.

Thanks for your help

Adam

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/17035055

A $700-$1000 hardware raid adapter.

Skip RAID6 and go with a software solution. You can use WHS + FlexRAID if you prefer Windows, or unRAID if you prefer Linux.

FreeBSD based system using ZFS....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.