AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a suitable repacement for my Conquest. I love it but its to big in physical size for my room...I am trying to find some thing smaller that will come as close as possible with out overtaking the room. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have a guess what my Conquest is worth? Thanks...Al

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc /forum/post/19644174

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator/ Current pics available in the Captivator thread. It's 6" shorter 2" more narrow and less deep by almost 9" than what you have now and with a 68lb custom 18" driver. If you like your conquest, the specs would seem like a good fit.

AFIK the Captivator will be tuned to 20 Hz, except possibly for special orders which will take extra time to build and deliver.

With the Captivator tuned to 20 Hz and the low pass filter, I really wonder if the new Captivator can match the ULF performance of the Conquest.

In a 7,500 cubic foot room the Conquest delivered 109.3 db at 20 hz, 104.7 db at 16 hz, and 103.9 db at 12.5 Hz.

I don't see the new 20 Hz tuned Captivator delivering 103.9 db at 12.5 Hz in a 7,500 cubic foot room.

On the other hand, the 4,000 watt amp available for the Captivator is worth at least 6 db more than the 1,000 watt amp built-into the Conquest.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19646810

AFIK the Captivator will be tuned to 20 Hz, except possibly for special orders which will take extra time to build and deliver.

With the Captivator tuned to 20 Hz and the low pass filter, I really wonder if the new Captivator can match the ULF performance of the Conquest.

In a 7,500 cubic foot room the Conquest delivered 109.3 db at 20 hz, 104.7 db at 16 hz, and 103.9 db at 12.5 Hz.

I don't see the new 20 Hz tuned Captivator delivering 103.9 db at 12.5 Hz in a 7,500 cubic foot room.

On the other hand, the 4,000 watt amp available for the Captivator is worth at least 6 db more than the 1,000 watt amp built-into the Conquest.

I think perhaps you missed it, but AFAIK, Jeff is including a port plug with every new 20hz Captivator that, when placed in one half of the slotted port, tunes it to 15hz. Couple that with the 4KW amp that has a button selection for the 15hz tuning mode, and I think you might see comparable numbers.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:

I owned a Conquest for a year and was able to do listening comparisons and in-room measurements between it and the other subs I had on hand at the time (dual HSU VTF-3.3's, dual SVS PB13's, single SubMersive). Chad told me on the phone that the Conquest tune was close to 20hz and my response graph evidenced this as it rolled off very steeply below 20hz, thus the often-touted sub-20hz max output was disappointing in real-world listening because 12.5hz levels were far below the 20hz and above levels. The PB13 in 15hz tune had noticeably more impact when watching movies with sub-20hz content because its frequency response was essentially flat to 15hz, unlike the steep rolloff of the Conquest.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Quote:

I think you mean a high pass filter. A high pass is what attenuates the frequencies above its value or lets them pass.

An easy mistake to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-pass_filter

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy /forum/post/19647134

I owned a Conquest for a year and was able to do listening comparisons and in-room measurements between it and the other subs I had on hand at the time (dual HSU VTF-3.3's, dual SVS PB13's, single SubMersive). Chad told me on the phone that the Conquest tune was close to 20hz and my response graph evidenced this as it rolled off very steeply below 20hz, thus the often-touted sub-20hz max output was disappointing in real-world listening because 12.5hz levels were far below the 20hz and above levels. The PB13 in 15hz tune had noticeably more impact when watching movies with sub-20hz content because its frequency response was essentially flat to 15h, unlike the steep rolloff of the Conquest.

Chad told me that he tuned the Phoenix model to 17Hz and further stated that model subwoofer sounded a lot like a Conquest. The Phoenix has two 4" bottom firing ports.

If I remember right, he told me the Dynasty model was tuned under 20Hz as well.

It is interesting that he tuned the ported models after the Conquest a bit lower and changed the amp design/specs.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct /forum/post/19643867

I am looking for a suitable repacement for my Conquest. I love it but its to big in physical size for my room...I am trying to find some thing smaller that will come as close as possible with out overtaking the room. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have a guess what my Conquest is worth? Thanks...Al

alan_ct, I think gpmbc and diamondelts have the right recommendation for a Conquest replacement in the JTR Captivator. The output numbers Jeff @ JTR posted are fantastic and his speakers are widely praised in pro audio circles and by HT enthusiasts. It doesn't hurt that he has connections with Mark Seaton who also really knows his stuff when it comes to effective sub design. I have Seatons's SubMersive and greatly enjoy its performance and SQ, but the ported Captivator has its own set of strengths and is very intriguing, would love to hear one.

As far as resale value on your Conquest, one sold by an AVS member in June in WA state where I live for around $800. When I sold mine a couple years ago I got $1200. Shipping costs on this beast are outrageous so local pickup may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct /forum/post/19643867

Let me know if you're ready to off-load the Conquest. I'd be more than happy to pick it up from you.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy /forum/post/19650461

alan_ct, I think gpmbc and diamondelts have the right recommendation for a Conquest replacement in the JTR Captivator. The output numbers Jeff @ JTR posted are fantastic and his speakers are widely praised in pro audio circles and by HT enthusiasts. It doesn't hurt that he has connections with Mark Seaton who also really knows his stuff when it comes to effective sub design. I have Seatons's SubMersive and greatly enjoy its performance and SQ, but the ported Captivator has its own set of strengths and is very intriguing, would love to hear one.

As far as resale value on your Conquest, one sold by an AVS member in June in WA state where I live for around $800. When I sold mine a couple years ago I got $1200. Shipping costs on this beast are outrageous so local pickup may be the way to go.

That was me awhile back. Sold it for 800 to a guy in Seattle and he paired it with his Trinity in his basement HT room. Shipping of the Conquest was more than half my sale price to Chicago so I had to sell locally.

Bill

·
Registered
996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy /forum/post/19650461

...I have Seatons's SubMersive and greatly enjoy its performance and SQ, but the ported Captivator has its own set of strengths and is very intriguing, would love to hear one....

+1 - very curious about Jeff's creation...

My SubMersive HP is soooo good, though. I've come to really love the sealed sound.

Wish I could somehow hear both of them in the same room.
Perhaps I could write a grant for scientific purposes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts