AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really really suck at home theater setup, configuration and even knowing what to purchase, but I greatly enjoy a nice setup.

Here's my problem at present; I'm running a Harmon/Kardon AVR 325 reciever. It's beautiful. Full of pretty lights, and lots of connections. Heavy as an elephant, and with about a billion and one connections on the back that I haven't the fogiest idea the purpose of (for most of them).

The stupid thing is cutting out audio for 2-3 seconds every so often, and this is becoming more frequent (is up to about once every 5 - 10 minutes now).

The AVR 325 is a nice machine, but it's FAR more than I need, or even know what to do with.

I would like to replace it with a less complex reciever. My TV is not HDMI (Sony 51WS500), but down the road, it will be replaced.

Components at present are:

XBOX 360

DVD Player

HD Cable Box

Over the next little while I'm hoping to add a PS3 and a Wii to that list.

SIMPLE is what I'm going for and preferably upscale-able (new word?) so that I can add more components (probably through HDMI).

The speakers are just a single pair of Infinity Beta 40's at the moment and hopefully I will complete the set with the center and rears, but for now, that's it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement reciever? Preferably one that doesn't make my head explode with all the inputs, outputs and features I'll never use.

Thanks for your time.

Drew

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Onkyo TX-SR606 seems to be floated around a lot on these boards. It's a big high on the price range and again looks overly complex.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSalter /forum/post/14332036

Onkyo TX-SR606 seems to be floated around a lot on these boards. It's a big high on the price range and again looks overly complex.

Any other suggestions?

If you're a fan of H/K's sound, check the 254 from them. Its $599 at Best Buy (God knows you can beat that price anywhere online), has an extremely easy to use menu system, full of pretty pictures explaining what you're doing
and has three HDMI in...all upscaling to 1080p. Pretty damn good receiver in my book.

What price range are you looking at? That might help us a little more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts