AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

First post, thought it was about time I stopped being a reader and joined in here. Hopefully I can add some value here and there but for now I need a little help

I am in the market for a replacement for my ATV2 which runs XBMC. I've just started getting into HD content and the limited processing power of the ATV2 is starting to buffer on some of my higher quality 720p rips.

I've done hours of research both on here and across the internet but have come away even more confused

Ideally i'd like a higher powered device that mirrors the functionality that I have right now (media sorting for tv shows/movies, automatic scrapers etc). Automatic scrapers are very important - I don't want to have to mess around with movie sheets, folders, pictures etc - these features would ideally be done automatically for me (like XBMC does now). Needs to connect via SMB to my ReadyNas Duo which most devices seem to do.

Also, don't want to spend days trying to configure the thing so a device that is relatively easy to use would be good (I managed to get XBMC on an ATV2 so i'm not totally inept). A higher powered device that runs XBMC would be great, but open to any other suggestions!

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreuzing /forum/post/20818556

Hi everyone!

First post, thought it was about time I stopped being a reader and joined in here. Hopefully I can add some value here and there but for now I need a little help

I am in the market for a replacement for my ATV2 which runs XBMC. I've just started getting into HD content and the limited processing power of the ATV2 is starting to buffer on some of my higher quality 720p rips.

I've done hours of research both on here and across the internet but have come away even more confused

Ideally i'd like a higher powered device that mirrors the functionality that I have right now (media sorting for tv shows/movies, automatic scrapers etc). Automatic scrapers are very important - I don't want to have to mess around with movie sheets, folders, pictures etc - these features would ideally be done automatically for me (like XBMC does now). Needs to connect via SMB to my ReadyNas Duo which most devices seem to do.

Also, don't want to spend days trying to configure the thing so a device that is relatively easy to use would be good (I managed to get XBMC on an ATV2 so i'm not totally inept). A higher powered device that runs XBMC would be great, but open to any other suggestions!

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like an HTPC build is in your future. They Sandy Bridge i3 is a good starting point these days.

Sean

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Well not sure that i'll be helping but i run an all iTunes media network based to a windows XP PC connected to 4 ATV2s and 2 Airport expresses controlled via Itouch's and Harmony remotes. The GUI in the native ATV2 is excellent and the system as a whole works flawlessly. Here's how i do it.

I use the windows PC to store/manage/build my iTunes library. Movies are ripped/encoded using AnyDVDHD and Handbrake to h.264 in native ATV2 presets. MetaData is written into the container using MetaX and then the files are added to my iTunes library. Pretty much the same for music except the encoding process. Not much work at all as it was all done this way just once. Streaming to the Airports for music is done wirelessly while Video content to the ATVs is done via Cat and Moca. Wireless jsut didn't cut it and after much research on the topic, not a good solution for HD content period.

Now as to control.....it doesn't get much better. The iTouch's allow me to browse/search my entire music catalogue (3k+ discs) without ever turning on a TV or monitor. I can stream Pandora, Last FM and other net radio material directly to any/all of the iDevices in the network without having to turn on the PC. For ATV2 video control, all of my Harmony remotes work extremely well with the ATV2's simple nav method and the few commands the ATV requires could easily be tought to basic learning remotes. Of course i've sacrificed 1080 playback but for the ease of use, reliablity, flexibility, and slick GUI, i'd make the same trade off tommorrow. Just my 2 cents.

Oooooh.....did i mention how cheap it is/was to put together a 6zone system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.