AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Onkyo 705 feeding my Energy Take classic 5 (in a 7.1 configuration). I need more HDMI outputs, 3D and Network features such as DLNA, Sportify, etc. I don't own any Apple hardware so Apple's airplay isn't necessary but will be nice to have in case I ever buy an Apple product.

Anyway, I initially started looking at the Onkyo 818 but decided that it was an overkill for my speakers and living room so I moved on to the 717. I soon found out the 717 was missing the Audyssey MultEQ XT which meant this had to be crossed off my list as well. Then I started looking at the Denon's (AVR-2313CI) and the Yamaha (RX-A820).

These two receivers have their advantages and disadvantages but I need help figuring out which of the disadvantages below to overlook.

AVR-2313CI

- 5 HDMI's on the back might not be enough

- No universal remote control

- THX Ultra2

- Missing party mode or something similar

RX-A820

- THX Ultra2

- No MultEQ XT

After reading a lot of the posts on here, it looks to me like people prefer the Audyssey more than the YPAO. Can someone explain to me what makes Audyssey much better and if that is a deal breaker?

Lastly, for zone 2, I see that the Denon has the one channel RCA port (unless I'm missing something) but on the Yamaha there are two (L & R) terminals for zone two. Can someone explain this as well. It is my understanding that I can hook up the Yamaha to my 7.1 in the living room and hook up two additional speakers to the L & R terminal for zone 2 (patio). When I have zone two on, it switches to 5.1 in the living room, when I have zone 2 off, I get my 7.1 back. Does the Denon work the same way?

On the Denon forum it states that "Network audio (including AirPlay) can stream independently to Zone 2", can I still stream airplay to the main 7.1 setup?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have actually seen some people who prefer YPAO over audyssey but for the most part its other way around. The big advantage is that Audyssey EQs a sub but YPAO doesn't unless you move up to the high end models (2010 & 3010). I don't know if this is still the case with the xx20 models or not as I haven't done much research on them.

The 2313 has L and R preouts for zone 2. You would have to run those to another receiver or an amp if you want to keep 7 channels in the main zone. Airplay can be played in the both the main zone and the 2nd zone at the same time or you can have another source in the main zone and airplay playing in zone 2. This was not possible with the Denons last year. I still think the 2312 is major overkill for your speakers but if that's the one you want then I would go for it. The Onkyo having 2EQ would mark it off my list for sure.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023  /t/1415299/replacement-for-my-onkyo-705#post_22125705

I have actually seen some people who prefer YPAO over audyssey but for the most part its other way around. The big advantage is that Audyssey EQs a sub but YPAO doesn't unless you move up to the high end models (2010 & 3010). I don't know if this is still the case with the xx20 models or not as I haven't done much research on them.

The 2313 has L and R preouts for zone 2. You would have to run those to another receiver or an amp if you want to keep 7 channels in the main zone. Airplay can be played in the both the main zone and the 2nd zone at the same time or you can have another source in the main zone and airplay playing in zone 2. This was not possible with the Denons last year. I still think the 2312 is major overkill for your speakers but if that's the one you want then I would go for it. The Onkyo having 2EQ would mark it off my list for sure.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I have to do some research on the YPAO in the A820 to see if it EQs the sub.

I see the L and R pre-outs for zone two on the Denon now. What is the difference between the pre-out L & R and the L & R speaker terminals on the Yamaha? I like the terminals because I can use banana clips and regular speaker wire instead of RCA audio cable.

I agree that the Denon (or Yamaha) might be an overkill right now but I plan on upgrading my speakers in the near future.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37  /t/1415299/replacement-for-my-onkyo-705#post_22125924

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I have to do some research on the YPAO in the A820 to see if it EQs the sub.

I see the L and R pre-outs for zone two on the Denon now. What is the difference between the pre-out L & R and the L & R speaker terminals on the Yamaha? I like the terminals because I can use banana clips and regular speaker wire instead of RCA audio cable.

I agree that the Denon (or Yamaha) might be an overkill right now but I plan on upgrading my speakers in the near future.

I think I found the answer to the pre-out question. Pre-out meaning the output isn't amplified by the receiver so I need to send that to another receiver or amp to use the zone 2 on the Denon. Is that correct?

The Yamaha on the other hand has a powered zone 2 so no need for additional amp or receiver, right?

·
Premium Member
90,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37  /t/1415299/replacement-for-my-onkyo-705/0_50#post_22125464

Lastly, for zone 2, I see that the Denon has the one channel RCA port (unless I'm missing something) but on the Yamaha there are two (L & R) terminals for zone two. Can someone explain this as well. It is my understanding that I can hook up the Yamaha to my 7.1 in the living room and hook up two additional speakers to the L & R terminal for zone 2 (patio). When I have zone two on, it switches to 5.1 in the living room, when I have zone 2 off, I get my 7.1 back. Does the Denon work the same way?

Nope. If you have a 7.1 setup in the main zone with a Denon AVR, you would need to connect the Zone 2 pre-outs to an external 2CH amp. Otherwise, if you only have a 5.1 setup in the main zone, you can use the Surr Back speaker posts to power Zone 2.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1415299/replacement-for-my-onkyo-705#post_22126154

Nope. If you have a 7.1 setup in the main zone with a Denon AVR, you would need to connect the Zone 2 pre-outs to an external 2CH amp. Otherwise, if you only have a 5.1 setup in the main zone, you can use the Surr Back speaker posts to power Zone 2.

That's a shame. I was leaning towards the Denon for the network apps.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm reading that the Yamaha Aventage YPAO will EQ the sub. This boils down to: Audyssey MultEQ XT, Network Apps vs. 7 HDMIs IN and zone 2 auto switching.

I will wait and read a couple of reviews before I make my final decision. I might even go to Best Buy to demo both units.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37  /t/1415299/replacement-for-my-onkyo-705#post_22126542

I'm reading that the Yamaha Aventage YPAO will EQ the sub..

Where are you seeing this? I'm in exactly the same position as you; looking to replace my Onkyo 705, but I cannot find a definitive answer on YPAO EQ and subs. I've read that it does on the high end models, but not the A820, but haven't see that listed in any spec. I've downloaded the A820 manual, and it does not show the sub having equalization; it does discuss the time delay aspect, but not frequency response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually I am in same situation too...Yamaha is 50€ cheaper than Denon...so I need to know where to go. Any information from this kind of comparison?

As my speakers are not that sensitive 87db and 6ohm ....so there need to be enough power in amp to use full potent of those speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts