AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I have an aging Velodyne F-1200R (aka FSR-12) and I'm wondering what the starting price range would be for a sub that would bring a significant improvement in sound quality over the Velodyne. Aside from a very touchy volume knob and a dead IR receiver, it works perfectly and I'm as happy with it now as I was when I bought it (I bought it new and have taken very good care of it over the years). While I'm not necessarily looking to replace it, if a modern sub in the $500 range (e.g. Emotiva Ultra-12) would be a real improvement in terms of either music or movie performance, I would probably upgrade. My room is medium size, and corner placement is a must. I have Martin Logan stat and atf speakers, so speed and clarity are going to be fairly important in order to blend well.

As an aside, that last time I thought about upgrading, it was to the DD series when it was first released. I was advised by a Velodyne rep, however, that if I was happy with the output level of the F-1200, then there was no reason to upgrade to the DD series. I was satisfied with the output of the F-1200 and even more so with its extension, so that was that.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I don't know if the Emotiva would be an total improvement over the old Velodyne. More output, yes, but probably not as deep in extension. I'd look at a Rythmik F12 for an improvement in all around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.