AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had originally planned on putting in a Panasonic AE3000 but my wife is encouraging me to look for something "cheaper" so we can get it now rather than waiting. That's what happens when you sink your budget into the remodel.

I have a 100"x42" 2:35 DIY Seymour AV screen with the ceiling mount being approximately 14' from screen and must run off of a single HDMI input. Seating will normally be under the projector so a quiet fan would be preferred. Projector would be used for movies and sport venues. I'm looking to cut about $1K off the price tag of a new Panny but I feel I'm really going to miss some of the options I was looking forward to from it. Thanks for your advice.

Bob

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have similiar "wife" issues. Try to explain the concept of "value". You want to get the best value for your money. Getting a cheap projector now that will need to be replaced (either because you don't like it, or it breaks) does not save money. Also, explain that you are not getting a JVC RS20, and tell her how much that one costs. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Looks like you have been aiming for a constant height setup. You also seem to be aiming for really good contrast. You are not simply wanting to hit a screen with an image, like a lot of us are.

I think you already know, there aren't very many projectors that will adjust for a constant height picture, & that Panny is one.

For example, the new Optoma HD20 would work in your room, it is well within your price range, and is apparently now available, but it will not adjust for your 2:35 screen between 16:9 content & widescreen like the Panny would.

How about the Sanyo? Might you be able to zoom it in and out & do a poor man's constant height setup? It would probably have enough brightness and contrast for your needs... It sure wouldn't be the Panny, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts