AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a nice set of Creative S700 satellite speakers (Google search should show you the right model) from a while back that are all in great working order. The problem is that the sub-woofer logic board died (not the sub itself, but the amp and PCB for processing the control unit, etc. It was some problem that apparently was somewhat common where the glue they used would degrade and eventually become conductive overtime. I examined the board and there are no obvious signs of where the short occurred and there is nasty glue that is extremely stick and hard to get of without damaging the board so repairing it would basically be a nightmare that I do not feel like going through.

The unit is old enough that it is way out of warranty and I cannot find any replacement sub-woofers for the set anywhere. If this was a regular sub for my TV or something I'd just replace it, no big deal. But since this is one of those 5.1 in a box sets for PCs the amp and the connections for the other 5 speakers were built into the sub as I am sure you know. I could just pick up a regular sub and use a receiver to connect and drive the speakers for my PC, but I would rather not resort to that as it isn't as clean as I'd like it to be. I don't need a whole receiver just for using the speakers on my PC, I'd never use any of the other inputs or functions.

So my question is, does anyone know of a simple way to fix this issue. I was hopping there would be some kind of fairly common sub/amp combo that is typical in these all-in-one systems that I could find on eBay (whether it is a stand alone product or just a replacement for a system I don't have, but that will still work). I believe that the speakers connected using RCA, though it might have just been the raw wire. That doesn't matter too much as I can just solder on whatever connector is needed. I also don't really care about that fact that the desktop control unit obviously wouldn't work, so that basically is a non-issue unless someone has some miracle way to have that work as well.

I am not sure how much technical information is out there on the S700s but I would hope that the impedance on these type of desktop speakers would be pretty standard, and that the current needed to drive them doesn't vary too much so that such a thing is possible. As far as I can see, as long as the built in amp is powerful enough and that the impedance of the S700 speakers and the impedance of whatever speakers the sub I would get is supposed to be driving match, I should be able to use any other sub/amp combo unit from any 5.1 in-a-box desktop speakers.

Ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry if this should be in the "Home-theater in-a-box" section or somewhere else. I had a hard time deciding where to put this since its for PC speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
System like this is one set, other components may or may not work. If you can find same used one, that's the best.
Idea of these sets is "throw away and buy new".
Low quality components and bad sound usually is not worth the effort replace or repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts