AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, forgive me if I missed the answer to this elsewhere on this site, I did search but couldn't find the info I needed.

I've got an old Sony 61" kp61v15 that I've had since 1994 and it still runs like a champ, bright, near perfect convergence, etc. I did have to replace the convergence chip last year though, but I soldered it myself, so the cost was only $30 for the chips. Ok, so now the problem is I cracked the outer grooved screen during a move and Sony says they don't sell the part anymore(it was ~$300).

So my question is simple: Are there any aftermarket replacement screens for sale that could fit my tv and that I could do myself? I don't necessarily need a better screen than the stock one, but I don't want it to be worse either, I just don't wanna look at the dang cracks in it anymore! :(

Just to be clear, it's the outer flexible screen (NOT the magnifying plexiglass type one), with vertical lines+grooves in it.

TYI!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other thing......could I just purchase a screen for another 61" TV and would it work? Is there a difference? If so what's the difference?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one knows? Or I've just missed something obvious around here and no one has the time to point me there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
auxois,

I have the opposite problem....... I am looking to replace the inner screen (the difuser). I found a Sony parts place in Atlanta a couple of years ago that could get me one for about $400.

I am not paying that much for a 10 year old TV.

ANYBODY.... can you hook one of us up?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for the lenticular screen on the outside. Interesting that Sony no longer sells them.

I would think you could probably go to a screen manufacturer and order one the same size as the rest of the screen pack.

Better yet, try getting a 61" screen from a newer set. I have a KP-61XBR300 which is only a few years old. You can still tape it into the screen pack. If it doesn't fit, Sony parts will let you return it also.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Any lenticular screen that fits should work fine. Just note that there is no standard for actual screen size - the portion that goes into the grooves around the sides could be different measurements for different TVs.

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.