AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I realize there are tons of these types of threads already on here, but these things change so quickly...

I purchased my AX100U 2 years ago and have loved it. I have a dedicated theater room that can be darkened, although the walls are not dark. I use a poor-man's CIH setup (when applicable) on a 2.35 Carada screen. The room is not used for TV or gaming (although now it may have the occasional WII in it this is not a consideration), it is strictly for DVD movies.

Well now 2 years along, and a few months before my extended GE warranty run out I was hit with the well-known dynamic iris problem. I sent in my unit for repair and 2 months later I am still dealing with the service center and GE on the phone, waiting for approval, waiting for parts, yada yada. I made a stink and they eventually decided to approve a replacement unit, but of course couldn't find one. So they decided to refund my purchase price of the unit: $1900. Calling GE customer relations paid off after dealing with the run-around for nearly 3 months (and in the nick of time for my warranty would have expired Jan 20).

So now I have $1900 to get a new projector! I really don't want to spend more then that, and spending less would certainly be nice. I currently have narrowed it down to the following options:

- PT-AX200U would be a near direct replacement for my AX100U, but is still 720p. For only $1000 I could then use the extra cash to get a Blu-Ray player (probably the BD55)....but it's still 720p.

- PT-2000U would take up the entire budget. I'd have 1080p, but wouldn't have any sort of HD source still. Also less overall lumens, but perhaps better for my poor-mans CIH.

I'm dealing strictly with the panny models here because of the lens shift and zoom - I could drop them directly into my mount and know they would work with my current setup.

Opinions would be greatly welcome, thank you!!

· Registered
939 Posts
If you're a fan of poor man's CIH, you have only one choice, the Panasonic AE3000. It's over your budget, but nothing comes close. The 3000 is the ONLY projector I know of that will do CIH automatically. Read the reviews on ProjectorCentral.com and ProjectorReviews.com. The auto CIH is the killer feature that puts this Panny over the top. Save up and wait until either the price comes down or you've saved enough. You won't be disappointed.

Jim

· Registered
4,697 Posts
Sounds to me like you'd be happy with either.

I have one of those GE EW's, and I also own the AX100...I already had the Iris replaced by Panasonic, but my panels are degrading, so I am going to have to deal with them, and 2 months after sending it in for the infamous Iris Fix, and you are JUST getting resolution is pathetic at best....

Sounds like GE Warranty is gonna cause me some grief........at least you get to choose a new one, and if it were me I'd probably go AE2000.

I find the AX100 to be soft, so I'm guessing the AX200 is the same.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim, I did check out some reviews on the 3000 and I think you're right, it seems like definitely the best choice with it's Lens Memory feature. And at this point, with 1080 projects at their costs now it doesn't make sense to stick with 720.

I'm going to wait and see if Panasonic issues a new rebate for the 3000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.