AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've not been on this forum for a long time, but I've always found the people here the smartest AV people on the internet. My current situation is this:

-I have a failed power supply on a 52inch Samsung LNT5271 I originally bought in 01/2008 for around $2800 with an aftermarket Warrantech/Repairmaster warranty ($150 at the time)

-The extended warranty is good until 01/2013 and has already been used once to replace a failed power supply, but now the new power supply has failed again (2 years later)

-Warrantech because of a ****** local repair man who has been giving me the run around for 2 months (he couldn't come out because it was raining, for example) wants to replace the TV

-The TV they consider comparable is 55inch Samsung UN55ES6500 which costs them $1697.99 shipped and unpacked

-My options are for them to send me the replacement Samsung, or if I don't like that option, they will cast me a check for their replacement cost of $1697.99

So, what say you. Reasonable to take this model, or should I take the money and look for a different model?

EDIT: Well, change to the above. As of this evening, the supplier is out of stock of the UN55ES6500, so they stated that they could replace the TV with a Samsung EH series (didn't state a model), Sony (didn't state a model), or an LG 55LM6700. They did say they were open to discussion about other brands too.

EDIT 2: I should say that I'm not averse to adding a few extra dollars for a worthwhile TV, and I'm not exclusive to any brand. How much I would add, I'm not sure. Less that $500 I think, Ideally less than that. But if you guys tell me that something is worthwhile, I would entertain the idea. I suppose that would mean a new TV running around $1900-$2100. Does that help?

·
Registered
59 Posts
$2800-$1700 imo is a big difference. Granted you must take into account the prices of tv's today and the market.

You probably are getting a better tv with more features etc. However I will tell you if you took that $2800 tv and sold it I bet you that it may not even bring close to $800.

So imo its not a horrible deal. I would try to haggle and get that price up to $2000 for at least all your trouble, which make bank you close to the 7100 model.

I still feel you are getting a good deal, for a 4year old tv.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, and I do feel like it is very reasonable. The company notes that they try to replace a no longer made TV with another TV having similar features, which is why they came up with the UN55ES6500. I'll edit the post above, but the company rep called me back and now told me that the UN55ES6500 is out of stock at their distributor, and so they would either find something comparable in another brand or they suggested the ?EH series instead. He mentioned that they could look at something Sony, but didn't mention a model number, or the LG 55LM6700. I am out of my element here, and while I did go over to the Best Buy and try to look at few different models, it is difficult to distinguish TVs up on a wall and having very similar model numbers that aren't well displayed, if at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The es6500 is a much better tv than the eh or lm6700. Take the money and run now....

You can buy the lm7600 for $999 w/ 3d blu ray and glasses on amazon.

Cash out!!! ha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts