AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some Evo 30's which were damaged in shipping. The insurance claim is nearly settled, and I haven't decided for sure what to do with the speakers. The cabinet has been damaged pretty badly . . probably repairable, but beyond my capabilities. I am pricing out replacement parts to see if it is worth my effort.

One of the tweeters were damaged and no longer works. There are several tweeters I would like to try, but they all appear too big for my application.

The Evo 30's have a metal cover to conceal the tweeter. They allow for a 1.5" tweeter/flange diameter internally, and a 1.25" dome to come through the opening. There is limited depth right now, but I could drill out the hole if needed (would rather avoid this).

Can anyone recommend some quality tweeters that would fit this situation?

Can the flush mounting flange be removed from most speakers that have this? Any ill-effects of doing so?

·
Registered
272 Posts
if you email wharfedale i'm sure they'd send you a replacement tweeter. Most companies will do so, I damaged my tweeters in my old totem forests and Totem sent me a replacement asap....Which was coincidenttaly what got me into DIY, they use a Seas 25TAG which is a $25 tweeter, and hi-vi D6.8, so $200 worth of drivers in a $3000 speaker....Great sounding, and they do put alot of work into finishing, and the crossover but the value if DIY if properly motivated is hard to deny. Sorry for the tangent, anyways given the placement of that tweeter it's going to be tough to find a suitable replacement, also it will entirely depend on the crossover which will have been designed for specific drivers. Even if you know the frequency at which they crossover to the tweeter, their's sensitivity issues, impedance matching and all sorts of other things that would be very difficult to overcome.

My advice would be to get the claim settled and then if you still have the diy bug, start by buying a kit, or trying your hand at a known design.

Tristan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info tsang. I am beginning to realize the problems with a separate tweeter. I have spoken to iag america (wharfedale's us distributor), and there hasn't been any mention of a replacement tweeter. I have asked for a quote, but never receive a response. They will glady sell me a new tower though. I may need to contact UK Wharfedale to see if they know their product a little better.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have one I might be willing to part with. What would be perfect for me is trading my tweeter for your damaged cabinet
I have a plan that requires one more ugly cabinet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually have some replacement tweeters on the way from IAG UK. IAG USA was very difficult to deal with, but their UK counterpart was quite different.

I hope to repair the damaged cabinet to look fair from a distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.