AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello AVSr's. I have an Onkyo HT-S780 that has a bad subwoofer.

I know from reading these were considered not too great to begin with as the system seems to make them pop a bit. I can't really afford to buy a Bic H100 right now although it's coming into focus as something i will do in the future.

Does anyone know what a good replacement speaker for the woofer would be. The amp is fine but the speaker itself sounds like it's shot now. I need something to hold me over until I can do a better option.

This is a 10"woofer with 150RMS. "according to spec" Anyone have a recommendation? Perhaps something that won't pop? hehe.

Thanks a million for your help.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
No one gave you a recommendation because we don't have enough information to go on. Have you tried to contact Onkyo? That is your best bet.

Popping? Driver bottoming out or port chuffing? If it is the driver bottoming out, then you need a better 10" driver. Those usually cost more than a BIC sub does.

If you really want to persue this replacement, then what is the internal volume of the sub enclosure? Ported? If so, what are the dimensions of the port? What is your budget?

-Robert

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Try Parts Express. They have inexpensive replacement drivers for subs that you can get, untill you can afford a decent sub. Just make sure the impedance is correct.

Ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds as if it's strictly in the woofer. I've read on here and other places that the woofer was overpowered by the amp and was incapable of reproducing signals sent to it. I have kept it at 1/4 to 1/2 volume for awhile but I prefer more bass.

I've warranty left at onkyo.. however I have to ship it off to Denver as they removed the Fresno repair facility. Instead of spending money on shipping it I thought perhaps I could get another woofer and replace it. I'm not a speaker guru. I know enough to match ohms and RMS wattage and use the right size wire if I needed to. The enclosure size is 10-13/16" x 20-3/8" x 16-3/16"

I was hoping to get a woofer the same size which would not suffer the same issues. I realize physically that it might be impossible. If that is the case I'll scrimp and scrounge up the money for a BIC somehow. I hate to warranty a part that will still not fill the need when it comes back.

I appreciate all the input I'll put the port size up as soon as I can get it. I'm not home right this minute.Edit: The Port is 4.5inches wide/around I don't have any method of figuring out internal volumes. Although my safety guy might have a dosimeter I can use.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye44 /forum/post/13037063

The enclosure size is 10-13/16" x 20-3/8" x 16-3/16"

I assume those are external dimensions. What is the material thickness?

Quote:

The Port is 4.5inches wide/around

So is the diameter 4.5" or the circumfrence 4.5"? What is the port length?

Quote:

I don't have any method of figuring out internal volumes.

Math and basic geometry is what most of us use.

Quote:

Although my safety guy might have a dosimeter I can use.

A what? Can it measure the impedance of this driver?

-Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dosimeter=basically a sound level reader.

Diameter is 4.5in on the tube and it's 16in long

The thickness of the wood is 1/2"

The speaker is 8 ohm

The only geometry I know is triangle square circle etc

My wife can do trig I might still be able to do long division.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:
I've warranty left at onkyo.. however I have to ship it off to Denver as they removed the Fresno repair facility.

If you are sure it's the woofer, why not just ask them to send you a new driver? They should make arrangements to ship the defective one back

Ian

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Based on the dimensions of the box and the port, you have an net enclosure size of 1.5 cubic feet. With a 4.5", 16" long port your sub is tuned to 38.5hz. Is the 4.5" diameter the inside diameter of the port? That's what is important here.

Based on this, I checked Parts Express and they don't have 8 ohm, 10" subs. So I checked Ebay. Auction 130196132299 is for a Cerwin Vega V-Max 10" with dual 4 ohm voice coils. You can wire it up for an 8 ohm load. Or auction 190196017626 for an Resonant Engineering RE10 dual 4. I'd go with the RE.

Can you replace the port with a 3" model? That would lower the tuning and make it sound better (hopefully).

-Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts