AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to replace QSC 1450's with a comparable amp , what would it be. I use 4 of them, so if you can come up with a pair that could do a better job, have at it. I'm driving Adrire Tumults.

Now , you ask why......don't ruin the fun, dont ask !

I can fetch about 350.00 used for each, so I'm figuring I have about $1,400.00 . So, be it two amps or four, let me know what you would do.

My usual listening is about -5 to 0db MV on my Denon 3808.

KG

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
We need more info. How many subs are you using on each amp? Which QSC amps are they? RMX 1450?

Do the new amps have to be purchased for $1400 total?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One amp per driver, 4 ohms. So we're looking at about 1400 watts per driver. I would be willing to add some money to it, any chance I can double the power ? Are the EP4000 rebadged 2500's.

Since the RMX 1450's never clipped, it would just mean more gas in the tank.

Any thought to a pair, one amp per pair of drivers ?

You would think this belongs in the amp section, no way, DIY guys know it all.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/18281974

What you need is a pair of QSC PL380's.

I really want 4 K2's.... Those PL380's are a bit deep for me....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unless you have a buyer lined up, the likely hood of getting $350 for each amp is pretty slim. A quick ebay search shows them selling for around $200-275. Like I said unless you have a buyer lined up, or higher local market value, that would then be different.

As far as a new amp, I guess Im confused as to why? I would never go from a QSC RMX to an EP**00. Then again thats me. Also, your either going to need two HUGE amps, or one GINORMUS amp.

Like you said, 4 ohm per sub, that means either:

4ohm stereo per amp (dual amps) so 1400x2 at 4ohms = PL340 or PLX-3602

2ohm stereo per amp (single amp) so 2800x2 at 2ohm = PL380

Granted these are just current QSC models, but the caliber of amplifier needed to meet you current amps is going to be RICOCKULOUS! Now if your subs were dual 4ohn coils, then this would open up a whole slew of amps. But then again, your 1450's wouldnt have put out as much power running 4 ohm stereo, as they do 4 ohm mono (Im sure your aware of that)

Unless you can get a sweet deal on a PL series or Macrotech, of even maybe a CE4000, which are all pretty unlikely. Your pretty much stuck with 4 amps. As said before, I would keep the 1450's, but thats just me.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the RMX's are here to stay. They are quite a value as I already have 4 of them. Even on the used market there isn't anything that would do the job with twice the power for the same money. Thanx guys !!!

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidrvr /forum/post/18283478

Like you said, 4 ohm per sub, that means either:

4ohm stereo per amp (dual amps) so 1400x2 at 4ohms = PL340 or PLX-3602

2ohm stereo per amp (single amp) so 2800x2 at 2ohm = PL380

I was actually suggesting 2 PL380's which would give him 2500W into each sub. However, your numbers for a single PL380 are wrong. It's rated 4000x2 at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/18281900

Since the RMX 1450's never clipped, it would just mean more gas in the tank.

Why sell them then? It would probably be better to try out what ever AVS tells you to get then compare them to the RMX.

You may not like the new amp and if you don't, you are stuck with it.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude /forum/post/18285605

I was actually suggesting 2 PL380's which would give him 2500W into each sub. However, your numbers for a single PL380 are wrong. It's rated 4000x2 at 2 ohms.

Sure 'nough. I was looking at the 4ohm spec. Either way, even with using one, kinda shows that its really not possible.

I too was in the same boat as you KG. I thought about selling two of my Fi IB3 18's. But since I choose the the 4 ohm models, so that I could run all 4 of one amp (2 ohm stereo), I was pretty screwed as far as a different amp. Yeah I could have ran the 2450, but 4 ohm stereo...blah. Although in your case, unless you planned on an upgrade, say RMX-PLX its really not worth it. And even then, its probably not worth it.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup, your right. I guess I'll just be glad I dont clip the 1450's and they are bought and payed for.....Plus I cant really complain about 6kwatts for sub amps.

The RMX series is a nicely built amp...Thanx Guys !!

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/18295927

One last thing, why no love for the Behringer EP4000 ? They sell for $330.00 shipped on ebay... again, just wondering

The Ep2500s still exist and they are cheaper. No reason to spend the extra $$$.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18296394

The Ep2500s still exist and they are cheaper. No reason to spend the extra $$$.

Am i reading it wrong or is it not rated at 4000watts into 4 ohms ???

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/18296564

Am i reading it wrong or is it not rated at 4000watts into 4 ohms ???

No same output as the EP2500, 4kwatts is peak ""the new way to rate amplifier''
just read carefully the spec of both, they have the same gain for same input so they will get the exact same output cheer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts