AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Snell tower mains which have 10" subs in them. The right one keeps blowing the driver (it drags when there are loud passages). I had it rebuilt twice with new cone and new driver. But it soon blows again. I also have 2 Definitive Tech 15" powered subs which kick butt. But when things get cranked up a little the 10"s will spike and blow. Where can I get good replacement 10" to put in the Snell? Any recommendations are respected and accepted.

Thanks.:D

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Is the 10" a powered or passive sub? What size if the enclosure? Ported or vented? If ported, what's the diameter and length of the port.

-Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The woofers are in Snell Tower (14.5" x 46.5") with (it looks like a 2.75" cut out port in the rear of the tower behind the 10" woofer. It is passive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Vinny,

I would caution you not to try and replace the 10" drivers in your Snells unless you are experienced in speaker design and are up to a significant engineering challenge. Matching the woofers to the box is one aspect, as rlj alluded, but matching the woofers to the crossover is even more difficult. Modern crossover networks often include elements to tailor the frequency and phase characteristics of the drivers for best overall response. A different woofer will invariably have different voice coil inductance, acoustic center, impedance profile, etc.

Have you tried raising the crossover frequency between the mains and subs? Since you have two subs, you can locate them near the mains and not have to worry about localization from too high a crossover frequency. I'm virtually certain that if you pick a high crossover frequency, say 100 Hz, you will not be able to blow the woofers in the Snells, no matter how loud you play them.:)

If your AV receiver or pre-pro doesn't let you pick specific frequencies, you can usually accomplish the same thing by setting the main speakers to "small".

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
It’s a little unclear what you’re talking about here, Vinny. When you say they have “10-inch subs,†do you mean they are built-in powered subs like some mains have? If not, then the speakers just have a 10-inch woofer – they are not “subs.†If that’s the case, you want to use original factory replacements, like Dave said. Otherwise the tonal quality of the speakers will be affected.

If you’re consistently blowing them, then you need to high-pass them, not run full-range. The only reason you’re blowing them is that you’re feeding them to much low freq energy.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
How much power are you feeding them and what it the recommended power range of the Snells? You are either exceeding the max power of the Snells or driving your amp into distortion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The processor is a Sunfire Theater Grand and the amp is a five channel parasound. I think the LFE channel of the Sunfire may be a bit strong for the Snell 10" in the large front speaker mode, so i will try the small speaker mode and let the Definitive powered subs handle the extreme lows. The Snells were bought for HiFi use and then incorporated into the Dolby Digital Home Theater system. They are great stereo music speakers but Home Theater is really hard on them. I am pretty sure that the voice coil on the woofer that is dragging. The cone is in good shape.

Thanks to all who have responded. I will have the speaker rebuilt once again and then switch the processor speaker control to "Small Mains" to see it that solves the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.