AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a Sony 1271 for about 3 years now and I've decided to upgrade. I'd like to stay below $3k ($3500 MAX).


I've been watching Curt's projector emails and it looks like a Barco 808 and NEC XG1xx might be in my price range. Any recommendations?


Thanks!

Brett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
I recommend the G70 (or G90 if you can afford one). In NEC's you would need to get a XG1351/2 LC to have a projector comparable to the G70. As an added bonus, new oem factory tubes are available from Sony, if you should need them, the NEC tubes are no longer available from NEC.


The G70 is a well made LC machine that puts out a sharp bright picture and is very easy (especially compared to an NEC) projector to setup. The color is at least equal to the NEC. Both the G70 & NEC projectors are better machines than the Barco 808.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,506 Posts
It would be a bit too obvious for me to counter that the 808 is a great performer, as I am currently out of G 70's and NEC LC sets...:)


HOwever, the 808 will usually be about $500-1K less than an 8" LC machine, so that's something to consider.


Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,354 Posts
Brett,


Just a note..... If you decide to pursue a G70 and you bid on one on ebay you may get lots of email offers for new in the box units from scammers. I mention this becuase I bid on a G70 some time ago and still get them.


In my opinion It's actually pretty hard to upgrade from a 1271.


It's got 8" tubes (They are the same size of bigger then the tubes in my Marquee 8500), color correction, easy setup, shlepfung (Sp?) can be added with a Mooneyass type mod, regulrar learning remotes can be programmed with all the functions of the onboard remote, it's possible to run component directly in via a IFb12a (at least it is for me.)


The only reason I considered upgrading from my 1271 was because of tube availability (I want to have CRT in my system forever more.) But, now it seems there may be more indications of new and/or rebuilt tubes becomming available.


-Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
I went from sony 10xx's to 12xx's, big jump.

then I went from 12xx's to NEC pg's. Big jump!!


A decent G70 or XG commands allot of interest and money here, but personally, unless you want a big screen and need a light canon, the NEC PG series punch out a stunning image for a small little unit. Not the quietest, and not simple to setup like the sony's, but the picture, WOW!


My only complaints are a bit of fan noise, and the 9pg I currently run suffer's halo's a bit as they arent LC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Brett,


I upgraded from a 1272 to a G70 and could not be happier.


Aside from the benefits of the g70 stated by Bruce, having owned a 12xx pj, the learning curve for settling up the g70 is greatly reduced.


The improvement in focus, brightness, fan noise, and elimination of the halo effect are quite dramatic.


With a little patience, $3500 is in range to acquire a g70 with near new tubes IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,007 Posts
next on the block for me will be an upgrade(from a sony 1271q) to a e-home 8000 or 8110 series, i can hardly wait to see what curt can rustle up for me in his shop..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,354 Posts
penticton,


If you don't want your next step to be your last (I'm talking about CRT wise)... I would try to get one of the Electrohome's with Liquid Coupling. For example if you get an 8500LC then your next step up can be putting in tubes from a 9500LC. And the LC presents benifits as well.


You may miss the color correction of the 12xx unless you color correct the Electrohome (or you may not,.. I really don't know I haven't had my M8500 working yet.) That's perhaps one of the many benifits with going the G70 route. Color correction, Liquid Coupling these are significant enhancements.


-Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hampton
penticton,


If you don't want your next step to be your last (I'm talking about CRT wise)... I would try to get one of the Electrohome's with Liquid Coupling. For example if you get an 8500LC then your next step up can be putting in tubes from a 9500LC. And the LC presents benifits as well.


You may miss the color correction of the 12xx unless you color correct the Electrohome (or you may not,.. I really don't know I haven't had my M8500 working yet.) That's perhaps one of the many benifits with going the G70 route. Color correction, Liquid Coupling these are significant enhancements.


-Brian
Color correction my a**! There's NOTHING wrong with the color on a properly setup Marquee.....WITHOUT any color correction filters. Maybe I'm missing something here, but, people with worn out tubes are talking color correction filters and color accuracy while if they simply just had good tubes they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a G70 or NEC and a Marquee that had good tubes and was "properly" setup. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hampton



In my opinion It's actually pretty hard to upgrade from a 1271.


It's got 8" tubes (They are the same size of bigger then the tubes in my Marquee 8500), color correction, easy setup, shlepfung (Sp?) can be added with a Mooneyass type mod, regulrar learning remotes can be programmed with all the functions of the onboard remote, it's possible to run component directly in via a IFb12a (at least it is for me.)


-Brian
I couldn't disagree more. It might have 8inch sized tubes, but it's not rated as an "8inch" projector, because it is missing the magic ingredient - EM focus.


Tube size/rating is a red herring - 12xx tubes are as big as many 8" pj tubes. NEC PG tubes have the same face size as XG's and G70's - the PG Xtra has exactly the same tube as a air coupled XG - but PG's are classed as 7" while the others are 8". It's just a "rating".


I don't know which measurement is meant to be 8" - the tube face is WAY smaller than this, and the length of the tube is longer that 8" - it's not a real measurement.


It's about resolution/focus and brightness, not tube size. From a 1271 I'd be going EM focus, and if you can afford Liquid coupling.


The problem with a 1271 is it's only capable of about 666p MAX and it's not that bright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like the upgrade to be brighter than my 1271. I have a light controlled room but I would really like a little light on so I can see my pizza during all the games :)


Is a G70 brighter than the 1271? How about a XG110?


My resolution is 600 lines but I would like to go with something better. Between the G70 and an XG110 which is brighter and which would give me better resolution?


I don't care about ease of setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
The G70 is the brightest 8" CRT out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,354 Posts
Hey,


Ok, I lied. I said I would keep my mouth shut but..


I don't know how much of Techman's comment above was directed to me specifically but since he quoted my whole post and then said this ....


"people with worn out tubes are talking color correction filters and color accuracy while if they simply just had good tubes they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a G70 or NEC and a Marquee that had good tubes and was "properly" setup."


I thought I should be clear that "I" have no tolerence for worn tubes. My 1271 has slight wear on the blue tube when I bought it and I compleatly re-tubed it. The red and green that exhibited no visable wear (and that's with the lenses off) still gained in the focus department with the re-tube. I plan on putting new tubes in my M8500 before putting it to use and I bought the M8500 partially because I felt that the outlook for the availability of new tubes was good.


If you want to say that I can't "properly setup" my pj that's fine. I don't have the best tools for setup but I think I do a good job. But,.. don't suggest I don't know the benefit of new tubes. If you please.


-Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,034 Posts
"Color correction my a**! There's NOTHING wrong with the color on a properly setup Marquee.....WITHOUT any color correction filters. Maybe I'm missing something here, but, people with worn out tubes are talking color correction filters and color accuracy while if they simply just had good tubes they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a G70 or NEC and a Marquee that had good tubes and was "properly" setup. "

*****MUST CLEARLY IDENTIFY THE BREAK HERE*****


Wow, where was this dude when I was arguing Marquee vs g70 price vs performance with some guy named Bruce?


:)


Troy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
This is a Good Question!!

I would consider which CRT pj have a lot of parts for the maintrance include selling price. If which one still have oem manufactory to provide the service and parts would more safety. The next to compare performance and price. (Marquee vs G70 vs NEC XG1351/2)


John Wong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hampton
Hey,


Ok, I lied. I said I would keep my mouth shut but..


I don't know how much of Techman's comment above was directed to me specifically but since he quoted my whole post and then said this ....


"people with worn out tubes are talking color correction filters and color accuracy while if they simply just had good tubes they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a G70 or NEC and a Marquee that had good tubes and was "properly" setup."


I thought I should be clear that "I" have no tolerence for worn tubes. My 1271 has slight wear on the blue tube when I bought it and I compleatly re-tubed it. The red and green that exhibited no visable wear (and that's with the lenses off) still gained in the focus department with the re-tube. I plan on putting new tubes in my M8500 before putting it to use and I bought the M8500 partially because I felt that the outlook for the availability of new tubes was good.


If you want to say that I can't "properly setup" my pj that's fine. I don't have the best tools for setup but I think I do a good job. But,.. don't suggest I don't know the benefit of new tubes. If you please.


-Brian
Brian,


I WASN't referring to YOU at all. This is an issue that came up LONG BEFORE you even bought your Marquee. In addition, I wasn't even aware that you even had it working yet, so I assume that anything you might be saying about Marquee color correction is based on some of these "other" threads I WAS referring to.


Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema
"Color correction my a**! There's NOTHING wrong with the color on a properly setup Marquee.....WITHOUT any color correction filters. Maybe I'm missing something here, but, people with worn out tubes are talking color correction filters and color accuracy while if they simply just had good tubes they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a G70 or NEC and a Marquee that had good tubes and was "properly" setup. "

*****MUST CLEARLY IDENTIFY THE BREAK HERE*****


Wow, where was this dude when I was arguing Marquee vs g70 price vs performance with some guy named Bruce?


:)


Troy
Troy,


Just because I said that "most people" couldn't even tell the difference doesn't mean that I'm saying a Marquee is the same or equal to a G70. I like BOTH projectors, but might recommend one over the other to different people. For a novice, the Marquee is STILL the king of EASY TO SET CONVERGENCE, which can be a MAJOR factor to people without the skill or patience to set other projectors.


Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brettjones
... I've been watching Curt's projector emails ...and it looks like a Barco 808 and NEC XG1xx might be in my price range. Any recommendations?
Completely off topic, but I haven't gotten a PJ list from Curt since early June. I figured that he was simply too busy to send them out anymore... You still doing your mailings Curt?


Kal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
techman,


I am not expert but i still enjoy the crt pj come with me to some setting and adjustment even existing crt is good picture include to input difference video signal and scaler. I believe some of CRT friend to be similar to myself after complete all the setting to be feel powerful and aware what kind the next step should be upgarde to their HT.


For a novice, like me. I am not worry, here and there have some advance to help and techman747 i had seen before you are have some kindly of word to support AV friend.


Brett, I like to let you know for your reference, My first CRT Sony 1252 and upgarde Sony G70, prepare if possible upgarde G90 or Barco CineMax.

I recommend you safe more budget running "9'" CRT. let you more powerful amazing image.


John Wong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Bruce


Are you going out on a limb by saying that alot of people that own Marquee PJ's are color blind:)


Get your flame suit on, some may take your statement in a negative way.


Deron.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top