AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing a 55" Rear Projection Mitsubishi WS-55313 which is about 9 years old. It is HD1080i and not even DLP. I love the tv. It has been awesome with no problems at all not even a bulb. I love the look of Blurays, Xbox 360 games and HD DirectTv sports....all connected through component cables at 1080i on this classic Mitsubishi. This is our main tv and will be in the living room for all to use and at all times of the day.

I have been reading forums and professional sites for days and I am getting a headache and going cross-eyed. I am leaning towards a 55" Panasonic plasma ST50 or 51" Samsung plasma e6500. From what I've read I think these will fit my needs perfectly, but would like your input. Again the TV will be our living room tv and be used for Blurays, XBOX, and both Standard and HD tv viewing. Do you thing these are great choices or are their others you might recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
There is one concern with a plasma set under the conditions you describe which is glare. This is a problem under certain lighting conditions where lots of ambient room light is present. If you have windows that lack light control, and light colored room furnishings, this might be a concern. But window shades and/or roller blinds, or even lined draperies are an easy solution. But glare is a problem with rear projection HDTVs as well, so I suspect you solved this problem years ago.

The other concern I would have is screen size. Your rear projection set is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 18" deep, perhaps more. Measure the total distance from the screen to the wall behind it. Now consider how you intend to mount the plasma. If it is wall mounted, you may want a larger screen size - else you will have a smaller screen further away, and a considerably reduced image size. But if you are mounting the plasma on top of an equipment cabinet with the pedastal stand or on a freestanding TV stand such that the screen is closer than your present HDTV, this would not be a problem.

If it was me, I would use a 60" to 65" set for a slightly larger image.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
st50 if only because of the brighter panel and good anti glare screen which will work much better in a bright room.

EDIT: Never mind i spoke to soon, the st50 is in fact brighter but it looks like the e6500 has a better screen filter

Looks like the st50 might be slightly better overall in the picture quality department though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Yes glare is....or was an issue but we have blinds and drapes that limit the light entering the room. Yes the tv set is very deep. The screen is aprx. 25" from the wall. Yes the plasma would be wall mounted and I have thought about going bigger than 55", just wasn't sure if I really wanted to or not. After more late night reading posts and reviews, I think I have decided to go with the Panasonic 60ST50. I just hope my next tv last as long as my Mitsubishi.

Thanks again for both of your responses.

·
Registered
858 Posts
[quote name="07fjcruiser" url="/t/1415580/replacing-a-tv#post_22133125"...we have blinds and drapes that limit the light entering the room. .... Yes the plasma would be wall mounted and I have thought about going bigger than 55", j...think I have decided to go with the Panasonic 60ST50. .....[/quote]

Don't see any notes as to Viewing Distance, but - FWIW - at a 9ft viewing distance blu-rays look Wonderful on a 60" ST50.

Upconverted SD DVDs, and MOST "HD TV" channels (including Premium channels; via Uverse) vary between "Pretty Good" and "Ugh!"

The large panel size simply does an Excellent Job at revealing whatever FLAWS exist in the source: our 50" Pan plasma - at 1366x768 - presents a much better PQ, at 9ft, with less-than-ideal material.

OTOH, moving back to around a 12ft distance when viewing SD DVDs (etc) has the effect of substantially improving the Apparent PQ on the 60" set.

YMMV.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Yep, you picked a winner. Make sure you calibrate it away from the factory settings. Start with Custom and you'll be very happy. Plenty of settings for the ST50 are available for you to try in the ST50 Thread. CNET's seems to be a good place to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts