AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had a Yamaha DSP-A1 (I know its ancient now!), in gold, for 6 years. Its a beast and I love it. However, I'm ready to move on to some new technology. I have B & W, 600 series speakers in the front, back, center and sub. I'm a graduate student, work full time and I figured that in getting married, I'd pool some money from my friends to get a new receiver.

Keeping in mind that I'm a social worker, not a doctor, and that I'll never be able to afford something as quality as the DSP-A1 was at the time, what's a good alternative?

There are just so many options now and frankly, I'm not the audio-nut that I used to be.

However, I'm tired of not having HDMI inputs and having cords dangling in front of my receiver to run my ipod.

Initially, I thought I'd go for a Marantz, since I had always wanted one. The sr5004 seemed like it had almost everything I'd need, but this popping problem is not something I'd like to deal with. Is the slim model a nice alternative? The Pioneer 1019 seems like a great model as well.

There is just SO much information for someone that's been out of the market for many years and isn't really technologically informed as I once was. I don't need something earth-shatteringly loud, as I'm in the market for a house (most likely a small one) at the moment and most of my music comes through an ipod at this point, which isn't the best quality to begin with. Also, for the most part, I'll just be running my dvr, ps3/bluray and perhaps another gaming system though the receiver, so its nothing high end, but as evidenced by my purchase of a a dsp-a1, a couple of years after it was released, longevity and dependability are a must!

I have read a bunch of threads on specific units, but to be honest, the technological discussions are a bit confusing for me. Thanks for reading my essay

·
Registered
296 Posts
You won't like this answer, but here is my opinion..........I had that exact model, actually, I had both, a black and gold one and nothing since that receiver ( don't care how old it is), has measured up to what the A1 sounded like. Here are the receivers I have gone through since that time......

Onkyo TX-DS737

Denon AVR 3300

B&K AVR 202

B&K AVR 305

Marantz SR-19EX ( shoulda kept this one )

Denon AVR 5700

Denon AVR 4800

Denon AVR 4802R

Onkyo, can't remember the model, but it was about 2 years ago I owned it. It had Dolby TruHD, HDMI switching, Audissey setup.etc. It cost like $600.

Out of all these receivers.......you would think I was crazy. I thought that by upgrading to newer hardware I would have been happy, but the next and newest doesn't mean better.......I'm the jackass who wasted money and time buying/selling....hard to admit now, but it's the truth. Save your money and invest in a hdmi switcher from monoprice if that is what you need. The newer surround formats are gimmicks.....The slightest imperceptible difference isn't worth sacrificing the quality and sound the Yamaha produces.......if you don't believe me, hang on the A1 and buy your new receiver, then do A/B testing. I think you will agree.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Maybe you would like the Yamaha RX-V3900. Or maybe you could pair the RX-V3900 with an Emotiva amp.

There's the Z7, which I own. Works well, sounds good. It does not have as much power as some other models in the same price range.

Some people have been getting good deal on the Yamaha RX-Z11 ( I have some issues with it, but they are minor.)

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakiegu007 /forum/post/18271642

Initially, I thought I'd go for a Marantz, since I had always wanted one. The sr5004 seemed like it had almost everything I'd need, but this popping problem is not something I'd like to deal with. Is the slim model a nice alternative?

No, it isn't. The 1501 should be considered to be the receiver one would use in a second zone (e.g. a bedroom) where space is limited. Its amplifiers are relatively low power and its information displays are what I consider to be less than adequate. Its audio does sound OK to me, though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to place this message here. I could not find a Official DSP-A1 thread.

I'm also stuck with it for more than ten years now... and I love it. Never found anything that suited me. I love its great sound, and the fact that it has the possibiity of conecting two central speakers, which I have, two B&W LCR6, at standing at each side of the TV.

Anyway, aside for not finding anything worth the exchange, I've been having a litlle, but annoying problem with it. It turns itself off, from time to time, without any noticeable reason.

Does anyone have a clue about what may be happening?

BTW, I live in Brazil, and there is not a authorized dealer or assistance here.

thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm actually thinking about the Pioneer Elite SC-25.

I had never seen anyone mention that the upgrades have been "gimmicky" until now.

That's cause for concern.

It would be lovely to be able to stream from a USB, ethernet capabilities, room adjustments, HDMI switching, scaling to 1080p and the new'ish ICE amp.

I have the B&W 601/2 S3's (4 total) and a B&W center and sub.

Is the SC-25 a nice upgrade? I know the DSP-A1 has a great reputation but I can't help feeling that an HDMI switch will give me the same results as upgrading to an SC-25.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Where's that knucklehead ccotenj when you need him. Oakie that member is a Pioneer fan if there ever was one, but he can also answer any questions you have about them. Its either keep what you have and get a BD player with multi-channel outputs or upgrade to the SC 25. Get the SC 25 and hook it up, listen to it, and if its doesn't meet your expectations bring it back. About the only thing to lose is a lot of cabling and a little time. Good luck.

·
Registered
949 Posts
What is it exactly that makes the DSP-A1 sound so good? Is it the amp section? In other words, if the processing is better in today's receivers, then maybe the best upgrade path would be a low budget receiver, like the Yamaha 665, and an external amp, like an Emotiva.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk /forum/post/18509618

What is it exactly that makes the DSP-A1 sound so good? Is it the amp section? In other words, if the processing is better in today's receivers, then maybe the best upgrade path would be a low budget receiver, like the Yamaha 665, and an external amp, like an Emotiva.

If the DSP-A1 is still serviceable, it might be possible to pull the L/C/R Pre-Out/Main-In jumper bars and to use three of the DSP-A1's power amps with the corresponding Pre-Outs from (say) the Yamaha RX-V665 to drive the L/C/R speakers. Use the RX-V665's on-board power amps to drive the LS/RS/LB/RB speakers.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The presence of the L/C/R pre-out/amp-in jumpers does allow it to be used simply as 3-channel power amp. I debated doing that with my DSP-A1 when I retired it from the theater, but decided I'd rather build another system around it in another room that didn't need HDMI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I've decided to do is go with the SC-25.

Buying a new home (in the next year), I want to build a nice home theater setup.

In theory, if there's an extra room in the house for an office (getting married in a month so no children yet to take up other bedrooms!), then I'd just use the dsp-a1 for a stereo set up whenever I decided to buy two more nice speakers.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk /forum/post/18509618

It would be interesting to know if there's anything special about it.

I would expect if there was a difference, it's somewhere in the pre amp section.

Ideally, preamps would measure ruler flat over the audio range with very low THD. My Z7 measured well, though apparently not as well as the Z11 (if memory serves.)

I found the DSP-A1 service manual, parts of it, anyway. One thing jumped out at me. It's volume control shows a motor. Modern AVRs I am familiar with use an electronic volume control. I find it hard to believe this is signficant, but some designers have complained the the electronic volume controls in modern AVRs reduce fidelity (I don't remember details, something about the way they are implemented with op amps.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
unless I get a great deal, I'm going to wait until the new elites come out and then try to snag it for cheaper than it is now!

I thought about selling the DSP-A1, but its so great at what it does and its a nifty gold finish!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakiegu007 /forum/post/18521742

unless I get a great deal, I'm going to wait until the new elites come out and then try to snag it for cheaper than it is now!

I thought about selling the DSP-A1, but its so great at what it does and its a nifty gold finish!

I wouldn't even think about selling that receiver. Its too good and can be used somewhere else in your soon to be new home. You'd be hard pressed to get one today to match it. It's typical "old" Yamaha build quality.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakiegu007 /forum/post/18521742

Do not sell it. I checked prices on them not long ago and you'll be lucky to get more than $200 for it. It's way too good to let go for that little return.

Even if you just use it for an office, bedroom or den stereo rig, you'll appreciate it. I expect I'll have mine for many years to come.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This thread is a little old now, but I'm still pushing a DSP-A1. It's been a GREAT unit, but I'm also looking at the possible upgrades that are out today like Bluetooth and HDMI. Anyone have any thoughts on the new Yamaha stuff? The Aventage series looks pretty good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With all the love for Yamaha, why not get a new Yamaha RX-A 1040. 2040 or 3040 ? You state how much you love the Yamaha Sound and then talk about buying any other brand other than Yamaha.

·
Registered
455 Posts
With all the love for Yamaha, why not get a new Yamaha RX-A 1040. 2040 or 3040 ? You state how much you love the Yamaha Sound and then talk about buying any other brand other than Yamaha.
I like the 2040. It appears to have similar power to the A1 with all the new bells and whistles. Only downside is no S-video. I have a Yamaha music server that utilizes that for on-screen menus and info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts