AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing an Onkyo 805, that had the infamous overheating issue that burned out the HDMI; one input at a time rendering it useless to me now that all three are out.

The Denon AVR-X2300W is on sale at NewEgg for $499 less a $150 gift card = $349! 3 year Warranty!

The Onkyo was a great receiver when it worked and I really liked the sound, especially playing Blu-Ray through my Oppo 93. A review from the owner of a Denon AVR-X2300W said the same thing, "but this Denon is a bit better in sound quality."

He said his was a mid-range Onkyo. Not sure which model it was...

NewEgg's decription says "Dynamic clarity, lush mids, deep & accurate bass" but I am not so sure.

1. What say you? Do they compare? It would be nice to have a cooler running unirt without a noisy fan on top.

Reviews from experts says it lacks bass but owners make no mention of it.

2. However, I can get a used Integra DTR-80.2 Receiver - with updated HDMI board, a $3000 unit new (MSRP) for the same price $499 price plus shipping. A good deal??

The price point would denote more quality but still being in the Onkyo family, will it run hot too hot maybe there is a cooling fan?

Posts I read say that they have the same problem; running hot and ALWAYS need a fan...

That is why I am looking at another make. Mine is in a cabinet too, which does not help.

I do not care about streaming because being on Satellite internet, DATA is very dear.

I do not care about 4K

I am running two Klipsch F30 floor speakers (150W)
I am running two Klipsch B20 surround speakers.
Not installed are rear speakers and I have another set of Klipsch B20 surround speakers (TOO BIG?). a pair of Polk Audio Atrium 45 and some much smaller Bose surround sound cubes.
3. Which would be best?

4. Any and all suggestions, please!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm sure plenty of folks on the forum have replaced their 805's. I've gone through 3 receivers since briefly owning the 805. Consider yourself lucky it lasted this long.

Looks like your budget is anywhere from $350-500, correct? I loved the "Onkyo Sound" but have just ordered a new Yamaha. No trust in Onkyo products any longer. You might look at the Yamaha rx-a760 or Marantz sr5011 on closeout. Check out Accessories 4 Less for some refurbs backed by warranty.

BTW, be wary of the marketing ploy using terms like "Dynamic clarity, lush mids, deep & accurate bass".

Dan

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Unfortunately all modern Denon (and Marantz) receivers run hot because of the video and HDMI circuitry. If you have inefficient speakers and a large room, the audio amplifiers will add to the heating. Denon (and Marantz) receivers have an ECO mode which can reduce their temperatures by about 10degrees F, but many people still prefer to add an external fan, especially when the equipment has to run in an enclosed space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts