AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just heard from cybebri and others that my prized cube speakers in the ceiling are complete crap and is low hanging fruit to upgrading my HT setup.

In fairness to me, the Bose cubes were mounted in the ceiling when I bought the house. I had always thought they were decent middle of the road type things, expensive because of the size and aesthetics.

But I'm happy to hear that I can improve the sound of my movies greatly by replacing them.

Any advice? I don't need power but I am willing to pay for quality. I figure I'd pay up to 3k (I'd prefer to pay less, of course) for the speakers and receiver.

From what I've heard:

Option 1: replace the Bose cubes with a better brand of satellite speakers

Option 2: Get a new sub woofer and receiver first, then new center channel and front speakers, either stand alone or book shelf or at least better satellite-types.

Can I live with the bose as rear speakers or should they be upgraded as well? Can I upgrade them with cube-sized speakers mounted from the ceiling?

What would you do for 3k (going for quality not power, movies more than music).

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
You'd probably have a hard time voice matching the bose cubes to other speakers.

If you want to do things in phases, I'd get the receiver and mains first, then the center, then the sub, and finally the surrounds. I usually recommend people stick within the same family for speakers, if only to ensure a better voice match among them.

For $3,000 you can get quite a nice system. Personally, I prefer a Denon/Klipsch combination, but there are so many excellent receivers and speakers on the market you'd be better off visiting some showrooms and having a listen. People tend to recommend combinations that they have bought, that satisfy their needs. They wouldn't necessarily satisfy yours.

If you are specifically looking for small speakers, try the forum search for "small speakers". There have been a number of discussions and suggestions given.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Denon/Klipsh is definately a good choice in that range you may also want to look at Yamaha (reciever)/Energy (speakers).

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
How big is the room? This would determine the sub you get pretty much.

Like others said, i would upgrade Fronts and Electronics, then Center and Sub, then if you have extra money, the rears.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome - thanks guys.

I'll go Denon.

Is the Klipsch sub as good as any other?

My room is 16' x 25' with the left side wide open leading to the rest of the house.

Do I need a 12" sub? I do want kick ass plane crashes and explosions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recently upgraded from a 5 channel to 7 channel. I to have bose cubes. I bought my new receiver,HK AVR 635, and Monitor Audio RS 8's for my front channel along with a MA center speaker, moved the Bose cubes to surround and back speakers.I exspected the Bose would sound unbalanced when paired with the MA 8's.But I didn't have the money to replace the whole system yet. I already have $2400 invested and planed on completing the rest later. ( replacing all the Bose.)What I found out was,no need to.While the Bose don't come near the Monitor Audio in sound comparison, they don't need to.( as surround speakers.)There could come a day when I do choose to rid myself of the Bose,but as of now,everything sounds great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend just suggested I get a MartinLogan Sub. The Descent looks great.

Any reason I shouldn't get it? Anything I should consider before I do?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Polk audio and Yamaha make a very good combination, but if I were you I would go and audition speakers and take home what "YOU" like and that will be your best bet. Lou

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski
A friend just suggested I get a MartinLogan Sub. The Descent looks great.

Any reason I shouldn't get it? Anything I should consider before I do?
OK, so there are two and a half thousand reasons. Can I say Grotto?

Thanks for all the advice. I will go listen around as many have suggested, but in my mind now is the Denon 3805, Klipsch Reference LCR, and a bad ass sub, perhaps whatever I can afford from MartinLogan.

Without you guys I'd have Sony and Bose (though my wallet would be a little heavier...).

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Martin Logan has some great subs, as does Velodyne. If you want something less expensive, but also high quality, check out Hsu and SVS.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Depending on your skills, for a cheap sub to rule them all build one. A well designed sono or IB system will kill most anything out there for a fraction of the cost. Just a though to consider.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is what I got last week. I bought a SVS 25-31 PCi, Energy Connoiseur C-9's for the front, an Energy CC-3 Center Channel and an Energy C-R3 rear channel. All of this in a very open 20'x20' room. This system rocks and I got it all for $2000 including shipping.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Peter and Agbon, I'll check those out as well.

Unfortunately, Sonytheater, my skills are not up to par.

I plan to go to Magnolia today to listen - when I'm ready to buy, is there some strategy? Are there good on line retailers to price check the B&M stores?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the MartinLogan Grotto.

Blends perfectly with my Bose satellites.

Kidding, of course. I don't even really understand what that means.

I also fell in love with the MartinLogan Mosaics. I haven't really listened around though, so what do I know. There didn't seem to be a MartinLogan center channel that went with the Mosaics though - the Magnolia guy pushed the flat panel "Fresco", but wouldn't some of my $1000 for the fresco go to making it flat, as opposed to great sound? Is it really impossible to find a center channel that blends (there's that word again) well with the ML Mosaics?

Thanks guys. By the way I love the Grotto. As does my son. My wife on the other hand...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.