AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently having an issue with a Klipsch Chrous speaker that I've had for a while.

The mid horn and woofer seem to be crackling or just cutting out completely. I have a hunch that it could be due to the crossover caps being old.

I was able to record it with my phone (warning: bad sound quality), and you can hear it crackling/cutting: http://db.tt/Snews4UO and http://db.tt/zDgvgScC

The caps are pretty old since they're the original. The capacitance is 68 uF in the larger cap, and 7uF in the smaller. I was thinking about just going to radioshack and picking up a few to swap out. Is there any reason not to use the cheap caps from radioshack? (I'm looking at these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12438395&filterName=Type&filterValue=Electrolytic+capacitors )

Cheers

Edit: would it be worthwhile to pick up a multimeter that measures capacitance and ESR beforehand?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinevans  /t/1467962/replacing-crossover-caps#post_23196217

Is there any reason not to use the cheap caps from radioshack?
For the 68uF electrolytics are OK, but a poly will work better if you don't mind the price. With the 7uf a poly is cheap, so there's no excuse not to use one. Get Dayton caps from Parts Express.
Quote:
Edit: would it be worthwhile to pick up a multimeter that measures capacitance and ESR beforehand?
To measure what? Bad caps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1467962/replacing-crossover-caps#post_23196279

For the 68uF electrolytics are OK, but a poly will work better if you don't mind the price. With the 7uf a poly is cheap, so there's no excuse not to use one. Get Dayton caps from Parts Express.

To measure what? Bad caps?

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about upgrading my multimeter just to measure these possibly bad caps.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinevans  /t/1467962/replacing-crossover-caps#post_23196343

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about upgrading my multimeter just to measure these possibly bad caps.
Before I did anything I'd try other speakers, to make sure the electronics weren't at fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I ended up testing it with a different receiver, and it was still having the issue.

I went to Frys and bought two NP caps and put them in parallel for 66uF... I could had been a bit more precise (to the 68uF), but it seemed close enough. I removed the old solder (and glue) and put them in. It completely fixed it! I'm so glad it wasn't anything more serious. This only costed me $3 for em.

I might eventually swap out the smaller cap, but I'll do that when I have the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.