AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client with a Denon AVP-A1 surround processor who is very happy with what it does for the picture on his Sony SXRD RPTV but is not happy with the sound. He is replacing it with the Classe SSP-800 which has no video processing.

What outboard processor would be a good replacement for the one built in to the Denon? Price is not an important consideration but I don't want to suggest more than he needs. He likes playing around with the equipment himself rather than having pros do the adjustments.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wow, your client must have very high expectations if the Denon AVP did not measure up adequately in sound quality. If he likes playing around with his equipment as you say, then having a VP in his equipment list opens up all sorts of tweaking possibilities.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am astounded that the client doesn't like the AVP. How long has he had it? Maybe he's never heard accurate sound reproduction before. It would be interesting to hear more about the room, speakers, amps, and calibration it was set up for. Or maybe a little about how this client was calibrated. I'll just bet they will never be happy.

You ought to go over to the AVP sticky thread and ask this question. Actually the only possible complaint about the AVP involves the lack of video control. The 602 somewhat solves that.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear /forum/post/16929114

I am astounded that the client doesn't like the AVP. How long has he had it? Maybe he's never heard accurate sound reproduction before. It would be interesting to hear more about the room, speakers, amps, and calibration it was set up for. Or maybe a little about how this client was calibrated. I'll just bet they will never be happy.

You ought to go over to the AVP sticky thread and ask this question. Actually the only possible complaint about the AVP involves the lack of video control. The 602 somewhat solves that.

My guy bought the Denon on a whim elsewhere without consulting me. He previously was using a Theta. He loves buying new equipment and asked me if I liked the Classe. I told him I thought it was wonderful and much better than the SSP-600 which it replaced and with which he was familiar. He told me to order one so I did.

I don't see the point in going to the AVP thread because my concern is about an outboard processor, not the AVP.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsquared /forum/post/16930534

I'm particular to the Lumagen VP's. The Radiance units are great.

This was the first thing I thought of. My guy doesn't have calibration equipment so I was wondering if the Radiance was more than he needed.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsol /forum/post/16934773

My guy bought the Denon on a whim elsewhere without consulting me. He previously was using a Theta. He loves buying new equipment and asked me if I liked the Classe. I told him I thought it was wonderful and much better than the SSP-600 which it replaced and with which he was familiar. He told me to order one so I did.

I don't see the point in going to the AVP thread because my concern is about an outboard processor, not the AVP.

I just asked because it would not surprise me at all if the AVP would come out on top in a blind listening test. It is an outstanding piece of audio gear. There are people over on the forum who have come from Classe to the Denon and are very happy. What the Denon is not is a good video processor--as I noted, not much control. The 602 is somewhat better but even it is not a fully flexible VP.

My point being, keep the Denon and buy a 602 or a Lumagen. If the guy finds something missing in the AVP audio--it isn't set up right or his head isn't screwed on right.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsol /forum/post/16934792

This was the first thing I thought of. My guy doesn't have calibration equipment so I was wondering if the Radiance was more than he needed.

Who is "your guy" - the customer, an installer, or someone else? As a sales consultant / installer / custom installer / dealer / whatever, I would consider it YOUR responsibility to have calibration equipment and offer such services if you're recommending / selling / installing gear at this level - we're not talking big box store $400 receivers here. As others have said, I'd me shocked if the audio complaint isn't the result of a poor installation. If the guy isn't happy with a properly setup AVP he's not likely to be happy with any current SSP unless all he cares about is having a fancy name on the front faceplate...

·
Registered
6,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr /forum/post/16929886

WOW, very nice... I'm going to look into this VP. Any issues going on with this processor..? (bitstreaming challenges/audio drop outs) does it need alot of firmware updates.

Steve

No major issues and no need for firmware updates.

There are threads on it in the vp section of avs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15376047

·
Registered
6,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/16969318

I concur that an outboard VP is best. Always buy an audio processor for AUDIO, and buy a video processor for VIDEO.

The Anthem Statement/AVM 50 is probably the only processor out there that is truly fully functional in both areas. However, for the cost of the Statement, you could buy the Denon 602ci and the Onkyo 886/Integra 9.9...TWICE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts