Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any tinkerers out there (Thumper)

I have recently aquired a 3 chip DLP projector based on TI's original design work. The problem is that the "red" chip has stuck pixels. I would like to ask the people who know (you guys seem like the ones) how much trouble it would be to purchase the raw chip (848x600) then replace the bad one in the projector. Finally I know that the chip must have some sort of alignment setup involved. So, has anyone seen the inside of a 3 chip DLP and looked into popping the chip or is it soldered into place?

To give some background, I work on electronics all the time and have NO fear opening the case and messing with the projector's innards. Just wanted to see if it's practical/possible before I go there.

Thanks,

------------------

Later, LordHz

-------------------------------------------------

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."

-Albert Einstein

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know this is crazy, but if anyone could help.

------------------

Later, LordHz

-Albert Einstein

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It would be helpful to know what make/model your projector is (it's not a prototype as your message kind of implies, is it?). Also, where were you planning on obtaining the replacement DMD? It's not like you can just order one from Digikey...

·
Registered
375 Posts
LordHz,

Well, it could be a defective chip or a defective driver (formatter) board (as in a problem register) or the chip could be poorly seated with simple electrical contact issues.

As far as I am aware, all "modern" DMDs use high density pressure contacts for all electrical connections. None are soldered directly to a board or cable assembly.

The triple chippers have alignment adjustments for registration of the three chips, essentially the same as incorporated in LCD and D-ILA designs.

Thump

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I was a little vague. I just recently got an Electrohome Vista Pro Plus. I know that this projector uses the reference TI 3 chip light engine design (especially since the docs mention TI spec sheets and reference TI diagram numbers.)

My question was more of a "can it be done" thing. I am fairly certain it's the chip for the red color component. It looks like it's either stuck on or the mirror has come off (probably just stuck on since it reflects cleanly.) There are 7 stuck off pixels, but these are off to the extreme right of the image and not really a concern.

I called TI today and learned that they do not rebuild 3 chip light engines, but they will give me a discount off of the $22,000 price to replace the light engine. After the paramedics woke me back up I realized that one pixel isn't so bad. I still believe (knowing electronics) that the chip can be replaced, the rub is (as Mark mentioned) how to get the chip.

So, to sum up.. Does anyone know where I can acquire a 848x600 pixel 0.9 inch DMD chip?

BTW, I am not trying to discourage anyone from getting a used 3 chip projector since the image is excellent!

------------------

Later, LordHz

-Albert Einstein

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LordHz:

So, to sum up.. Does anyone know where I can acquire a 848x600 pixel 0.9 inch DMD chip?
Have you tried contacting Christie Digital? They can probably refer you to a parts supplier.

I have opened my VistaPro Plus several times and have read the service manual, so I can offer some advice although I am not an expert. The light engine consists of numerous modules, one of which is the optical module. The three DMDs are attached to the optical module. I don't think that the DMDs can be removed or reinstalled individually, so the optical module may need to be replaced entirely. The part number for the optical module is 10-4108139-002P.

Quote:
BTW, I am not trying to discourage anyone from getting a used 3 chip projector since the image is excellent!
I totally agree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.