AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96" Stewart Firehawk with 1.2 gain with pro-trim. I originally had it paired with an Infocus IN76, but it has since been demoted to the bullpen. I am now playing with an Optoma HD65 and an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 720. The Optoma produces a richer black than does the Epson, but the Epson bests it in almost all other categories (fan noise, image noise, flexibility, construction, shadow detail, bonus lamp etc).

I am curious if anyone has any suggestions for a different screen material that I could use in a completely light controlled room that would give me my pop but produce a richer black? I would much prefer to get a different brand screen and use it with the existing frame. A new Stewart screen will be way too much money for me. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heboil /forum/post/16982504

I have a 96" Stewart Firehawk with 1.2 gain with pro-trim. I originally had it paired with an Infocus IN76, but it has since been demoted to the bullpen. I am now playing with an Optoma HD65 and an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 720. The Optoma produces a richer black than does the Epson, but the Epson bests it in almost all other categories (fan noise, image noise, flexibility, construction, shadow detail, bonus lamp etc).

I am curious if anyone has any suggestions for a different screen material that I could use in a completely light controlled room that would give me my pop but produce a richer black? I would much prefer to get a different brand screen and use it with the existing frame. A new Stewart screen will be way too much money for me. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Wow, not sure that there is many screens out there that would be better than what you already have. Why do you not like your allready very good screen?

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Yeah, I don't quite get this request.

Heboil, you already have precisely the screen most people would recomend to get what you want. There's nothing I can think of that would simultaneously give you deeper black levels and more pop than the Firehawk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two weeks ago I had my fixed Stewart Firehawk Screen (grey) installed in home theater. On right side of screen, adjacent to velvet border, there are fine ripples. They are not noticeable when watching screen. I asked my professional installer and he thought they would "disappear" with time. He said if not then would need a new screen. Could this be an installation problem. I am a nubee . . . should the movie one is watching consume the entire screen?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my problem is that this new projector (which is less than what the screen costs) bests both of the other projectors that I have used in so many categories. I am trying to attain the brightness/pop of the Optoma in dark scenes. The Epson just feels a little dim/dull in those scenes in comparison, but in all reviews of the two in best modes, it appears that the Optoma "just" beats the Epson on black level. On my screen I wouldn't say it "just" beats it. It is pretty clear. Considering I have read that across a few different sites, I was expecting that something with my screen/projector interaction was to blame (regardless of how good my screen may be at doing certain things).

Perhaps this is just the shortcoming of this projector in comparison and something that I will just have to live with because of a difference of some 200 lumens in this best mode. I had a friend come over to help me when comparing the two projectors. It is still a tough call for me because I have grown fond of the richness of the blacks and the pop on darker material.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Another vote for the firehawk...best screen material I've ever owned. In fact, I should replace my basic white with the firehawk...next upgrade.

Does stewart sell just the "raw" screen material without snaps/velcro etc?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heboil /forum/post/16985532

I guess my problem is that this new projector (which is less than what the screen costs) bests both of the other projectors that I have used in so many categories. I am trying to attain the brightness/pop of the Optoma in dark scenes. The Epson just feels a little dim/dull in those scenes in comparison, but in all reviews of the two in best modes, it appears that the Optoma "just" beats the Epson on black level. On my screen I wouldn't say it "just" beats it. It is pretty clear. Considering I have read that across a few different sites, I was expecting that something with my screen/projector interaction was to blame (regardless of how good my screen may be at doing certain things).

Perhaps this is just the shortcoming of this projector in comparison and something that I will just have to live with because of a difference of some 200 lumens in this best mode. I had a friend come over to help me when comparing the two projectors. It is still a tough call for me because I have grown fond of the richness of the blacks and the pop on darker material.

Sounds like you are contradicting yourself. You say it "Bests" the other projectors but doesn't give the POP your seeking...so it looks like it doesn't actually "best" the others in that area, right? Have you considered that the problem is your projector, not the screen

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka /forum/post/17028170

Sounds like you are contradicting yourself. You say it "Bests" the other projectors but doesn't give the POP your seeking...so it looks like it doesn't actually "best" the others in that area, right? Have you considered that the problem is your projector, not the screen

My original post highlights the areas where it bests the Optoma. It just seems to fall behind in that "pop" category... and I guess I am having a hard time even explaining what that category is.

To spell it out, in a given movie, there are dark scenes and bright scenes. In the right scenes, things look marvelous. In some of the dark scenes, blacks and shadows look black and shadowy. Sometimes what looks like it should appear black actually appears much closer to murky brown/grey. I can't say for certain what the intent of the director was for said scenes, but I will say that it appears something is "off" in these scenes. It might have to do with the iris on the projector, but I am not quite sure.

I just came from a screening of Inglourious Basterds (fantastic btw), and I was paying particular attention to the black levels and shadow detail in the theater. To be honest, my setup creates a much blacker black that I saw on screen and also a much brighter image. But when the screen is 50+ ft across, the sheer size of the image allows you to see much more in the shadow detail than you would if your screen had similar brightness, albeit on a 96" diagonal.

So who knows? I am trying to squeak the best out of this projector/screen combo. I have a limited budget, so I will make do with this combo or some facsimile.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
The lack of black level is more the projector than the screen (generic terms). When you add the screen you are seeking a balance between black levels and "pop". So to depend on a screen to attain both is still a compromise and the firehawk provides the best compromise, as many have said in this thread.

It would seem from your statements, what you are asking out of your screen is not possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.