AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, picked up a new Sammy PN59D7000 and was looking to update my speakers.

I have been eyeballing MartinLogan Motion 12's and the Motion 8 center. I went to audition and the wife was not having it. She didn't like the footprint of the speaker, which I thought was small for a floor speaker.

I am trying to find some really good bookshelf speakers and a center channel.

I am open to getting a 5.1 set. I was looking at the ML 5.1 set, the Energy 5.1 and the Inifinity Primus 5.0 set, but since I will upgrade the sub to an HSU anyway i wanted to get the best fronts rather than split the cost with the entire 5.1 system. I was looking to piece this together to try and get better speakers.

Price range @$750 for the 3 speakers, but I am flexible. I don't really want to upgrade in a year or two. So preference is to spend the money on the fronts and center.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Take a look on Amazon for the JBL Studio L series.

You can get a pair of L830 & LC1 for $800.

Or a pair of L820 & LC2 for $1000.

The Studio L series is hard to beat at those prices.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok305 /forum/post/20847955

The JBL's are pretty huge.

Any thoughts on the KEF IQ60C and the IQ30?

The JBLs I listed are bookshelf speakers, if you want good audio......

I won't much like anything from KEF.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow I didn't realize those KEF's were that big. I guess I can always mount the speakers or put them on a stand. I guess I don't want to limit the sound by going smaller. There is enough WAF in not getting the Martin Logan's Motion 12's.

I probably should have mentioned these are for movies and console gaming.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts
I would look at the Boston E60 speakers - The E series was their

former flag ship series. They can handle a lot of power, and have

good detail, definition and depth. They are strong with movies and

music. I would look to buy 3, and use one as a center. They were

designed and engineered to turn side ways, to use as a center also.
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../dp/B001H9O1CG

I do own them - they use to sell for $600 each.

And here is a review
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok305 /forum/post/20848043

Wow I didn't realize those KEF's were that big. I guess I can always mount the speakers or put them on a stand. I guess I don't want to limit the sound by going smaller. There is enough WAF in not getting the Martin Logan's Motion 12's.

I probably should have mentioned these are for movies and console gaming.

Well, the LC2 and L820 are only about 6" deep and are designed to be wall mounted. As is the L810, which only has a 5 1/4" mid-bass driver.

Here is a pic of the L820, LC2 wall mounted, I think they look good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the design of the Motion 4's is something that she would like, but my Magnolia didn't have any bookshelf speakers I could listen to. Have you or anyone heard them?

How would they compare to the Mythos Gems, or the HSU HB-1's?

Hell everytime I get a response I end up finding more options. Thanks for the patience..

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Take a listen to the KEF's. I have older Q65s that are very nice. Also, see if you can find NHTs. I haven't listened to the latest round, but their older zeros, when used with a sub, had very good sound for the size.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok305 /forum/post/20851660

I think the design of the Motion 4's is something that she would like, but my Magnolia didn't have any bookshelf speakers I could listen to. Have you or anyone heard them?

How would they compare to the Mythos Gems, or the HSU HB-1's?

Hell everytime I get a response I end up finding more options. Thanks for the patience..

I can tell you that I have a high opinion of the Motion 12s and the Motion 4s are some of my favorite bookshelves in Magnolia. I haven't listened to the Mythos Gems extensively, and have never seen a HSU speaker to compare those either.

I like the balance of mids and highs with the Motion 4s, but I think what i like best (or find most impressive) is the soundstage.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My wife LOVED the Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers. They're on sale for $300 a pair at Vanns. The Energy RC-LCR works great with them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz /forum/post/20851731

I can tell you that I have a high opinion of the Motion 12s and the Motion 4s are some of my favorite bookshelves in Magnolia. I haven't listened to the Mythos Gems extensively, and have never seen a HSU speaker to compare those either.

I like the balance of mids and highs with the Motion 4s, but I think what i like best (or find most impressive) is the soundstage.

What center for the Motion 4s? A motion 6? Would the Motion 8 not match?

Would the Motion 4s be a $200.00 upgrade to the Energy RC-10s?

·
Registered
30,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok305 /forum/post/20848043

I do not see how WAF could accept bookshelf speakers on stands and, yet, not accept slim floor-standers. Same footprint, less stability and less integrated design.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
last I looked there are some Dynaudio Excite X12s on audiogon.com right in you budget. they are small, have excellent mid-range, sweet sounding highs and pretty good bass for a small bookshelf. They are listed as 4 ohm speakers, but they are really closer to 6 ohms. I have the larger X16s, these are speakers that can be driven by just about any receiver. However Id suggest that you look at something like the Marantz, Integra/Onkyo, upper level Denons.

Build your system more slowly, like buy just the R/L speakers with the money you have now, then add the center, then sub, then rears, you will get a better system that way.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20852463

I do not see how WAF could accept bookshelf speakers on stands and, yet, not accept slim floor-standers. Same footprint, less stability and less integrated design.

When I mount the TV, the speakers will go on a TV console. I picked up a cheap console which I intend to replace, but need to factor in the height of the TV with the bookshelf speaker purchase.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.