AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you offer repair service and also correct the inherent flaw? I have a X3 has been acting up a while, but recently its just completely given up. Id certainly prefer to have the ballast repaired and flaws corrected rather than buy a new unit which will fail again due to poor design/engineering. Please let me know if this is something you offer or can recommend where it can be correctly fixed. I appreciate it.
Thank you
Yes, I correct bad ballasts.
Write me a private message, give the price and address

·
Registered
449 Posts
After disassembling an X70 for the same purpose, I would say the same. It seems to me this is the work of engineers and that designers had no part in it, except for the plastic encasing. And while I have to admit these projectors are very complex, I can't avoid feeling there could have been more simple ways to assemble them. But I may be wrong.

Now, not to discourage you, but I've heard that even the replacement Ballast may suffer the same fate as the original one, and that a modification to it may be required. There's some info about this on this same thread.
Thanks, yeah I read through several threads recommending replacement of IC01? (bottom of PCB), a resistor feeding said IC, and some opto-couplers. Due to the length of time and effort to swap out the board I just bought a new board. The original board lasted several lamps and 6+ years in my theater. After another six years I will be ready for a 4k or 8k JVC.

Good luck to anyone replacing this board. Take plenty of time and be ready to label 20+ cables. 😁

Reactions: descalabro

·
Registered
148 Posts
Independently, the resistor can not fail, need a reason. As a rule, it is a transistor and a capacitor. But this is a rare failure of these ballasts.
Optocouplers almost never collapse.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I am about to buy a jvc 790x with high bulb hours. Thanks for finding this guide!

Hi,

This is not a known issue on this series, only the x0 and x00 series, so it’s possible that you may have something to repair other than the ballast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
I too am in Melbourne (outer east) and seem to now have a similar problem.
There hasn't been any mention of symptoms other than blinking lights and power-down. After that happened a few times my PJ started getting bogged-down at the D-ILA logo screen. I even had 2 instances where all I got was a blue-screen (the dreaded blue-screen-of-death from the PC world I presume). This is probably showing that my issue is more than just the ballast.

After laying $154 on the counter for a diagnostic at an authorised repair centre, I was later handed an estimate of $1500 for repairs. This is pretty close to, if not actually, a write-off valuation.

My X3 lamp is near the end of its life at 2600 hrs but should still have enough life in it to power-up the PJ, but of course it immediately drops into error mode and powers-down.

So, because as-it-stands, the beast is simply a BBB (big black brick) sitting on my bench I don't have a lot more to lose by attempting a repair.

I will open it up over the next few days and see what's inside. Is a ballast repair still possible SLONOPOT?

My last question is: is the beast of any value as spare parts? Can the bits be useful anywhere else?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I too am in Melbourne (outer east) and seem to now have a similar problem.
There hasn't been any mention of symptoms other than blinking lights and power-down. After that happened a few times my PJ started getting bogged-down at the D-ILA logo screen. I even had 2 instances where all I got was a blue-screen (the dreaded blue-screen-of-death from the PC world I presume). This is probably showing that my issue is more than just the ballast.

After laying $154 on the counter for a diagnostic at an authorised repair centre, I was later handed an estimate of $1500 for repairs. This is pretty close to, if not actually, a write-off valuation.

My X3 lamp is near the end of its life at 2600 hrs but should still have enough life in it to power-up the PJ, but of course it immediately drops into error mode and powers-down.

So, because as-it-stands, the beast is simply a BBB (big black brick) sitting on my bench I don't have a lot more to lose by attempting a repair.

I will open it up over the next few days and see what's inside. Is a ballast repair still possible SLONOPOT?

My last question is: is the beast of any value as spare parts? Can the bits be useful anywhere else?
Before starting to repair the ballast, it is necessary to put a new lamp. If the projector does not work with a new lamp, and a typical error (two solid red and one continuous yellow), then this is a bad ballast.
In your case, when the blue screen of death, it looks like an HDMI problem. The processor board is expensive, so the price is high. The new processor board itself costs about 550-600 US dollars.
But, first, this board can be fixed.
Secondly, it is possible that you just need to use the latest firmware and invert the capacitor on the front IR board.

Try the projector firmware, select your own, download and boldly flash- http://support.jvc.com/consumer/custrel/index.jsp

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was reading through this thread. I have a rs40(x3) and was going to attempt the ballast replacement. I saw someone suggested to buy this board so the projector can use a newer bulb.

http://store.jvc.com/catalog.php?id=4634

Has anyone put this ballast in there rs40 as suggested?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I was reading through this thread. I have a rs40(x3) and was going to attempt the ballast replacement. I saw someone suggested to buy this board so the projector can use a newer bulb.

http://store.jvc.com/catalog.php?id=4634

Has anyone put this ballast in there rs40 as suggested?
But, do you know if this ballast is compatible with your model?

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
After modification, correction of ballast of series X3-X90, you can safely use the JVC PC-L2312 lamp for X35-X900 models.
In principle, it is possible to use it without a mod, but the performance of both the lamp and the ballast is not guaranteed. Stability is unknown, and most likely can lead to sad consequences.
Sorry I read this quote then miss read your next reply that was pertaining to the rs4910 ballast. What is the modification to the ballast that allows the JVC PC-L2312 lamp to be used?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry I read this quote then miss read your next reply that was pertaining to the rs4910 ballast. What is the modification to the ballast that allows the JVC PC-L2312 lamp to be used?
This is not a “modification”, but a correction of a mistake in this ballast, which is why problems arise with all this series of ballasts. You can use the 2312 lamp, but it will still not work at maximum, which makes the brightness that the Original Lamp has for these projectors impossible to achieve. I checked it on my own experience, so I do not recommend using a 2312 lamp. This lamp will work, but not as brightly as calculated. The original 2210 will be brighter.

·
Registered
661 Posts
ah bummer

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is not a “modification”, but a correction of a mistake in this ballast, which is why problems arise with all this series of ballasts. You can use the 2312 lamp, but it will still not work at maximum, which makes the brightness that the Original Lamp has for these projectors impossible to achieve. I checked it on my own experience, so I do not recommend using a 2312 lamp. This lamp will work, but not as brightly as calculated. The original 2210 will be brighter.
My RS40 is showing a similar LED pattern on startup. I have taken out the ballast and tried basic troubleshooting steps for the ballast. Based on my limited understanding I tested the optocouplers in the circuit with a multimeter and 2 of them appeared to be bad, so I've replaced them, but now the new ones are showing similar multimeter readings in the circuit, so I don't think I fixed the problem. Thinking that I'll order a new ballast, but can't be sure if it is infact an issue with the ballast or something else. Is there a way to narrow this down to a board, short of putting everything back together and measuring the input/output voltages from the power supply and ballast.
@Slonopot - Also saw your post about a design flaw in these ballasts, is this issue with the RS40 ballasts also? If yes, how can I get this fix done.

Thanks,
Sahi

·
Registered
148 Posts
My RS40 is showing a similar LED pattern on startup. I have taken out the ballast and tried basic troubleshooting steps for the ballast. Based on my limited understanding I tested the optocouplers in the circuit with a multimeter and 2 of them appeared to be bad, so I've replaced them, but now the new ones are showing similar multimeter readings in the circuit, so I don't think I fixed the problem. Thinking that I'll order a new ballast, but can't be sure if it is infact an issue with the ballast or something else. Is there a way to narrow this down to a board, short of putting everything back together and measuring the input/output voltages from the power supply and ballast.

@Slonopot - Also saw your post about a design flaw in these ballasts, is this issue with the RS40 ballasts also? If yes, how can I get this fix done.

Thanks,
Sahi
Do you need to repair and fix your faulty ballast? Send your ballast to me for repair. Write in private messages for details (price, address, delivery).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've read this thread about repairing JVC ballasts and wondered if you all could help me out. My projector powers on for a minute and then goes off, showing these codes (in pic). It could be a lamp or could be a ballast issue, what do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I've read this thread about repairing JVC ballasts and wondered if you all could help me out. My projector powers on for a minute and then goes off, showing these codes (in pic). It could be a lamp or could be a ballast issue, what do you all think?
Ballast problems on JVC projectors were common on models of the X0 and X00 series, and sometimes X000 models are seen with faulty ballasts. What model is yours? The usual led color pattern of this issue is the lamp light blinking regularly in orange, while the other 2 lights appear static red. Is this the case in yours? What do you mean "the projector powers on for a minute"? Does the lamp actually turn on? Do the fans turn on? And once the lights make that pattern, is it possible to shut it off without pulling the power plug? Finally, there is a chance that there's actually a bulb problem, which you should confirm before you go into disassembling the projector to remove its ballast.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts