AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've read this thread about repairing JVC ballasts and wondered if you all could help me out. My projector powers on for a minute and then goes off, showing these codes (in pic). It could be a lamp or could be a ballast issue, what do you all think?
What are the "codes" ?? The photo shows solid lights. To understand the problem, you need to know the error code. How much, in what order, which diodes are blinking.
If your projector is running for a minute, the lamp lights up, then the problem may not be in the ballast. Many possible problems are possible. But for the search you need to know exactly which and in what order the diodes, bulbs are lit.
Possible options: 1) bad lamp, 2) temperature sensor, 3) control board, 4) processor board. And many more options. To limit your search, tell me more about lights.
Can you record video problems? Put it on YouTube and give the link here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That’s the X500 I’ve seen at least 2 with the ballast issue. If I had to bet, I’d say the lamp is ok and the is indeed the ballast. But let’s hear some more opinions on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello!
Usually, if the ballast is bad, then the lamp will not light up. There is a lot of voltage on the ballast, and if the ballast has any problem, it will not light the lamp. Absolutely.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hello!
Usually, if the ballast is bad, then the lamp will not light up. There is a lot of voltage on the ballast, and if the ballast has any problem, it will not light the lamp. Absolutely.
Hello :)

Thanks for the information. I thought that ballasts could act this way before dying completely. I have deleted my post to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello!
Do you believe it is possible for the ballast to have a partial degradation during maybe 3 or 4 Days? My X30 went from working fine, to shutting itself off faster all the time, to not starting at all even after using "Power cut-reset lamp timer trick" in a period of 4 Days. I also have the 2 solid red status lights and the middle one blinking continously yellow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you believe it is possible for the ballast to have a partial degradation during maybe 3 or 4 Days? My X30 went from working fine, to shutting itself off faster all the time, to not starting at all even after using "Power cut-reset lamp timer trick" in a period of 4 Days. I also have the 2 solid red status lights and the middle one blinking continously yellow.
Have you tried to connect a new lamp? If it does not help, then the problem is ballast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried to connect a new lamp? If it does not help, then the problem is ballast.

Can a lamp fail that gradually? I thought they were fully working (albeit dim) or totally shot. I have an old JVC HD350 as well, but I guess it is not possible to fit the lamp from that one in my x30?

I am a bit hesitant buying a new lamp and then find out it might be the ballast board, which both together might be something like $800-900 when I can get a second hand X35 or something similar for $750 which, as you have said, have less ballast problems. I guess I could buy the cheapest noname bulb I could find just for testing.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Can a lamp fail that gradually? I thought they were fully working (albeit dim) or totally shot. I have an old JVC HD350 as well, but I guess it is not possible to fit the lamp from that one in my x30?
It's not possible to use that older lamp.

I am a bit hesitant buying a new lamp and then find out it might be the ballast board, which both together might be something like $800-900 when I can get a second hand X35 or something similar for $750 which, as you have said, have less ballast problems. I guess I could buy the cheapest noname bulb I could find just for testing.
Let's suppose the problem really is the ballast, what will you do: replace it yourself, as intended on this thread, or get the X35? If you're able to remove the ballast yourself, getting it corrected by @Slonopot will be much cheaper than those values you mentioned (send him a PM). And, since the fault is very likely the ballast, I'd say it's worth a try. Worst case scenario, you'll end up with a corrected ballast which is more reliable than a new one sold by JVC, which you can then sell.

Reactions: Slonopot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let's suppose the problem really is the ballast, what will you do: replace it yourself, as intended on this thread, or get the X35? If you're able to remove the ballast yourself, getting it corrected by slonopot will be much cheaper than those values you mentioned (send him a PM). And, since the fault is very likely the ballast, I'd say it's worth a try. Worst case scenario, you'll end up with a corrected ballast which is more reliable than a new one sold by JVC, which you can then sell.

Yes, replacing it myself is what I was hoping for. Although, I think it might be hard to resell the corrected ballast considering where I am located, if it turns out there was some other component that was broken.

Anyway, I do not have the ability to send PMs yet, it supposedly takes 15 posts to be able to do so. Even though I have been a member since 2004 and been reading unregistered even longer, I just havent had that much to say. Hopefully Slonopot reads this and sends me a PM, I would hope it is possible to answer those at least. Just got a message that it is not even possible for me to quote your post verbatim, since it contains a link… stringent rules indeed...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yes, replacing it myself is what I was hoping for. Although, I think it might be hard to resell the corrected ballast considering where I am located, if it turns out there was some other component that was broken.

Anyway, I do not have the ability to send PMs yet, it supposedly takes 15 posts to be able to do so. Even though I have been a member since 2004 and been reading unregistered even longer, I just havent had that much to say. Hopefully Slonopot reads this and sends me a PM, I would hope it is possible to answer those at least. Just got a message that it is not even possible for me to quote your post verbatim, since it contains a link… stringent rules indeed...

Where are you located?

I wasn’t aware of those rules. Don’t worry, he’ll read. I have made a guide to remove the ballast on an X70, I will post it here too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
descalabro;58640888 I have made a guide to remove the ballast on an X70 said:
Have you seen the photos taken apart by the X5000-9900? Any of these patterns. You can 400-640. No difference. I want to see the cooling system and ballast of these projectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi Slonopot, I just wanted to let you know I have recieved your PM. Unfortunately, I cannot answer as of now since my post count is too small. I guess I will have to go around spamming some other forum sections and get back to you in a few days. I have read this forum for maybe over 20 years now, so it is a bit ridiculous, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hello Slonopot, since I can not send PMs, I thought I would try to email you my PM answer to the yandex.ru email adress you supplied for payment. Hope this is ok, please let me know if there is some other adress I should use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello Slonopot, since I can not send PMs, I thought I would try to email you my PM answer to the yandex.ru email adress you supplied for payment. Hope this is ok, please let me know if there is some other adress I should use.
Responded to email

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you need to repair and fix your faulty ballast? Send your ballast to me for repair. Write in private messages for details (price, address, delivery).
Got your PM, thanks. I tried to respond to to it but am running into the low post count limit. I mailed out the ballast to your address yesterday.
Please PM me you email address so I can reach out using that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got your PM, thanks. I tried to respond to to it but am running into the low post count limit. I mailed out the ballast to your address yesterday.
Please PM me you email address so I can reach out using that.

Thanks!
I answered you in a private message.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Have you seen the photos taken apart by the X5000-9900? Any of these patterns. You can 400-640. No difference. I want to see the cooling system and ballast of these projectors.

I have only seen the ads of those projectors on sale, and 2 of them said they were sent to a repair shop and that the ballast was the problem. However, the ballast was not replaced, so I’m not sure if that’s really the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too am in Melbourne (outer east) and seem to now have a similar problem.
There hasn't been any mention of symptoms other than blinking lights and power-down. After that happened a few times my PJ started getting bogged-down at the D-ILA logo screen. I even had 2 instances where all I got was a blue-screen (the dreaded blue-screen-of-death from the PC world I presume). This is probably showing that my issue is more than just the ballast.
Hi Murbella7,

Did you end up getting to the bottom of this? My X500R has started to do the same thing :(

In addition the image now "flutters", but I'm not sure if that is just coincidental as the lamp was recently used in "high" mode which it doesn't typically get used in. So maybe some uneven burn going on there...

I fear the HDMI board is failing too. The projector has no warning lights lit up, in-fact no lights at all. The Green power light disappears too. Only way to get it running again is to pull the power plug and it starts up OK.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Murbella7,

Did you end up getting to the bottom of this? My X500R has started to do the same thing :(

In addition the image now "flutters", but I'm not sure if that is just coincidental as the lamp was recently used in "high" mode which it doesn't typically get used in. So maybe some uneven burn going on there...

I fear the HDMI board is failing too. The projector has no warning lights lit up, in-fact no lights at all. The Green power light disappears too. Only way to get it running again is to pull the power plug and it starts up OK.
I eventually sent it to a registered JVC repair shop. The diagnosis was a faulty control board. Replacement cost with labour was $1500. I now own a BenQ W5700 4K PJ and a big black JVC brick.

The Benq delivers great 4K and upscales just about everything automatically. Even SD and 720P images look great. However, it has one serious flaw and one that few owners seem willing to admit, the so-called rainbow effect. It is occurs a lot and is quite obvious. To me, as a photographer who understands how light works, it looks like a serious colour fringing or colour aberration effect and can be a bit off-putting. So far I am managing to ignore it somewhat but often it is intrusive.

I also have an issue with my Denon X7200WA. It drops video signal for a second or 10 at random intervals, but only after it has warmed up for about 30 minutes. When you couple this with the BenQ taking its time to reacquire the HDMI signal, the dropout time gets really annoying. The amp will eventually need to go to the repair shop, but it will be hard to live without for the many weeks this will take.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hi guys, what you think? it looks seems to me ballast error so if it is ballast faulty, is it possible to repair ? I know a couple expert level electronic repairman if it is possible to repair they can definitely fix it.

https://streamable.com/90lduh

Yes, most likely the ballast problem. It can be repaired, but, according to the people who’ve done it, there may be different issues to look at. Anyway, there’s a post not too far back on this thread with a pretty thorough guide about it.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts