AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi WD-73734 and I am starting to see a couple of white dots on the screen.

I read that this means the light engine is starting to go bad and should be replaced.

Can I put in a light engine from the WD-73833 (or a later, but compatible 3D model)? If so, will I get its 3D capabilities?

Thanks,

Sridhar

·
Registered
5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharb  /t/1421410/replacing-light-engine-in-mitsubishi-wd-73734-possible-to-convert-to-3d#post_22241481

Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi WD-73734 and I am starting to see a couple of white dots on the screen.

I read that this means the light engine is starting to go bad and should be replaced.

Can I put in a light engine from the WD-73833 (or a later, but compatible 3D model)? If so, will I get its 3D capabilities?

Thanks,

Sridhar

You only need to replace the DMD chip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPE9MlonBZg&feature=related

Call Mitsubishi Service. They may pay for all or part of the repair, even though the TV is out of warranty.

The 3D is accomplished through software and the processing circuits, which are separate from the Light Engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying the software and processing circuits are all in the DMD chip

Would I need to do anything else than getting a 73833 (the 3D chip) and replace it?

Thanks,

Sridhar

·
Registered
5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharb  /t/1421410/replacing-light-engine-in-mitsubishi-wd-73734-possible-to-convert-to-3d#post_22251354

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying the software and processing circuits are all in the DMD chip

Would I need to do anything else than getting a 73833 (the 3D chip) and replace it?

Thanks,

Sridhar

No. I am saying that the white dot problem is just a defective DMD chip. TI had a bad run of them in your model year, and Mits has been known for helping out with the cost of replacement.

The 3D issue is a processing issue, which is on an entirely different chassis. If you want 3D, you are better off getting a newer TV. Prices have come down, and you can get a new 73" Mitsubishi for under $1600.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts