AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these somewhere between 1997 and 1999. So they're quite old.

Problem is I don't know what the frequency range is on the two front speakers using the passive subwoofer combined.

I searched around and found the frequency for the speakers are 135Hz to 18kHz. But what is the range on the passive subwoofer.

If I can get that info then I should be able to get some single speakers hopefully small in size that have the same range or better. Reason I want to change is I'm tired of the extra wiring going thru the passive sub. Looks ugly and trying to cut down on the wiring.

I was looking at the Polk audio RM8s which have 95Hz to 24kHz. I can't find any stores in portsmouth NH that have these products I can listen to. So I have to buy and try them.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I would not pay too much attention to the frequency response, especially as your main criteria. First off it doesn't tell you much. Secondly, there are many different ways of rating it and so comparing 10+ year old from one company to a current listing of another, well, you get the idea. I would try and audition whatever you can. And last, if you really want deep bass, a sub is a must...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Denon AVR 2700.

Around 200 to 300. Just looking to get two small front speakers.

Room is 11x11 feet. But the 4 speakers are around 4 to 5 feet away from the center.

I was looking at getting to Polkaudio RM8's or Blackstone TL1 as fronts. Not sure if they'll sound as deep as the cambridge soundworks ensemble 4 with passive sub.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyasio /forum/post/19560865

Do you need the sub to match the CSW with the passive sub or do the speakers stand on their own?

No you are going to not even use the passive subwoofer. The Polk RM6750 5.1 comes with its own active self powered subwoofer

You receiver is ancient so you may not have a subwoofer pre-out so there is a way to wire it to work. You might consider upgrading your receiver at some point too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats not what I meant. Will the speakers sound just as good if I don't use a sub. Even on my current system I never have high bass.

So was wondering if those speakers generate enough bass to match the passive sub of the old system?

Thats why I was looking at some of the newer speakers they have looked really impressive.

But I can't make use a full sub, my neighbor complaine. The passive subs on the CSW are good for what i need. I just need a speaker that can match the power of that passive sub. Not sure if those will do that or not.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyasio /forum/post/19560965

Thats not what I meant. Will the speakers sound just as good if I don't use a sub. Even on my current system I never have high bass.

So was wondering if those speakers generate enough bass to match the passive sub of the old system?
Seriously man ditch the passive subwoofer you will NOT need it with the Polk RM6750 5.1 as it comes with its own subwoofer Yes though they will "match" your other subwoofer but I am telling you that you will be able to throw out your passive subwoofer and visit us in the 21st century running an active subwoofer

This Polk is is a overall much better and will have more bass if you use their subwoofer and speakers together. The Polk RM6750 5.1 set has a frequency range of 40hz - 24hz. I personally own a Polk RM6750 5.1 and while it lack low bass frequencies the set-up is an improvement over the cambridge soundworks set you have.

If you want speakers that sound good without any subwoofer be prepared to get large floorstanding speakers.

There is a reason no one here runs passive woofers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You were not understanding me. Not sure how much clearer I can be
first off I'm not going to be able to make full use of a powered sub. I have one sitting in storage. Its too strong and high bass will keep neighbors up at 3am.

What I was asking was if the speakers them selves can generate sufficient bass or will everything sound mono without the powered sub.

I've been using my CSW without a powered sub for a few years now and it sounds good cause it has a passive sub. I want a new set of small speakers that sound just as good without needing a powered or passive sub.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Yes they will work as the recommended crossover for them is 120hz but they touch down to 90hz.

The problem is you are mix and matching though with your passive subwoofer. I really suggest you start over with the POLK RM6750 and ditch your whole setup maybe use 2 CSW speakers as rear surrounds if you have room for 5.1

By hooking up the speakers through the passive subwoofer puts its through the subwoofers internal crossovers which is creating the the problem. So even if you hook up speakers which are full range(30Hz - 24k Hz) through the passive subwoofer they will be cut off by the internal crossover in the passive subwoofer. Your "beloved" passive subwoofer is creating the problem. So when I say you need to drop it, DROP IT! I am sorry for being so harsh but you don't seem to get the issue through your head

I live in an apartment complex with paper thin walls and I have no complaints from my 60year old neighbors that live below me never complain and I am frequently watching TV past midnight. The subwoofer of the polks has its own gain/volume knob I keep at 40%-50% and its no problems This sub was meant to perfectly mesh with the Polk Speakers that is why I suggest it.

Again its your Passive subwoofer which believe it or not is causing the problem.

Again I have listen and sound test a CSW Ensemble IV and and the thing makes my Polk set-up shine my buddy has said. The CSW it passive "subwoofer" is lucky if it even touches 55hz the thing is a total disgrace

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyasio /forum/post/19561070

You were not understanding me. Not sure how much clearer I can be
first off I'm not going to be able to make full use of a powered sub. I have one sitting in storage. Its too strong and high bass will keep neighbors up at 3am.

What I was asking was if the speakers them selves can generate sufficient bass or will everything sound mono without the powered sub.

I've been using my CSW without a powered sub for a few years now and it sounds good cause it has a passive sub. I want a new set of small speakers that sound just as good without needing a powered or passive sub.

If you are looking for a system with no sub at all then you're going to need bigger speakers. Look into Pioneer's SP range if you're on a budget.

There is no such thing as small speakers that sound just as good without needing a sub.

Ron

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P162...le.html?tp=186

They probably go as low as your sub, but won't be as loud at low frequencies.

Edit: what I mean by 'go as low' is that although I haven't looked at the specs for your speaker system, I imagine any 'sub' that starts at 135hz is going to be more of a bose-style bass module with a relatively high high-pass than a true subwoofer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I went with just the speaker for now and ordered these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

Hopefully they don't suck. Miss the days when tweeter was still in business and could go down and hear speakers before buying. Bestbuy sucks cause their selection is too narrow. They don't even carry any polk audio at all except for 2 items.

The current CSW speakers I have without the passive sub have a range of 135Hz to 18kHz.

These new polk speakers have a range of 95Hz to 22kHz. So based on that sounds like they go a lot deeper than my current ones.

Worst happens is I return them and eat the shipping cost and 15% restocking fee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well based on specs the speakers I ordered look like they're better than the ones you suggested. Only difference is one doesn't have a sub. But I can always get a sub later if I decide I need the extra bass. I have an old sub I can use but its pretty big. around 20" high. foot wide. I don't like it cause of its size though.

Plus those you suggested went up in price too.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyasio /forum/post/19566050

Well based on specs the speakers I ordered look like they're better than the ones you suggested. Only difference is one doesn't have a sub. But I can always get a sub later if I decide I need the extra bass. I have an old sub I can use but its pretty big. around 20" high. foot wide. I don't like it cause of its size though.

Plus those you suggested went up in price too.

They aren't..... To be properly run they too need a subwoofer and the recommended cross over is 150hz for those speakers.

Recommended cross over with the RM6750 is 120hz. Meaning they reach lower. Also they have a larger driver at 3.25" which allows them to go lower than the 2.5" driver in the RM7's..... Sorry I don't go off of specs I actually sound test the speakers before i buy them and the RM705 kit didn't impress me when compared directly to the RM6750

PS the actual specs of the RM7's are 130hz-20k hz you need to look at the lower -3db limit and high -3db limit to get the actual specs

Good luck I hope it works out for you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

I can't sound test anymore once tweeter went under that pretty much forced me to go completely online for speakers.

Well I'll just return those and get the others then. Lose 15% and shipping cost to send them back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts