AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusted dinosaur receiver is on it's way out and is leaving me slowly. It has been a great receiver for many years, but it's slowly dying. First I lost power and have to crank up the volume to 50% to get to the levels where at I at before with 25% volume. Then I lost my rear channels, now I'm losing my bass output levels.

It's time to start looking at a new receiver. My requirements are pretty simple. HDMI input, output, and processing a must. Room correction is a must. Streaming and networking is not a big deal, my Blu-ray player has all of that already. I'm running a 5.2 system, but will be moving in the next few months and would like to be able to implement a 7.2 system if the new house permits.

My usage for the reciever will be 60-70% HT, and 30-40% music.

My current system includes:

-Klipsch RF-82 fronts

-Klipsch RC-64 center

-Klipsch RB-3 rears

-Two sealed SI 18 subwoofers

In the next year I'll be switching out the speakers to a set of Clearwave Dyanmic 4T and 4CC, DIY builds.

Budget is no more than $1k.

The following are my current top contenders:

-Sherwood Newcastle R-972

-Onkyo TX-NR818

-Denon AVR-3312CI

-Denon AVR-3313CI

Aside from the few bugs taht the R-972 has, it seems to get great reviews for sound quality, and the Trinnov gets great reviews.

The TX-NR818 seems to be a great bang for the buck, but from the few Onkyos I've heard at the local dealers, I think music sounds like crap with them. Onkyo use to have a pretty bad reputation when it came to reliability, I don't know if that's the case anymore.

The Denons seem to be pretty good all around, haven't heard too many complaints.

Please share your opinion and recomendations. All input are appreciated. I will be running a separate amp for the front 3 channels when I get my new speakers built, so the reciever will be powering just the two rear channels. Therefore, wattage per channel isn't too big of a deal.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you don't mind me piggy backing off your thread. I'm in the same boat. Going to be moving into a new house as well, which means bigger tv, and a new receiver. I currently have a Pio vsx 1018 and I hate it. The sound coupled with my Klipsch's never sounded right. The sound literally hurts my ears. It's my second PIO and hated em both, no more for me. The only other receiver I loved was my Yamaha but that was back in the 6.1 days and all I have been hearing about was how Yamaha's have been cutting corners and don't make them like they used to. I too have heard about Onkyo's vulnerabilities. Also have heard good things about Denon. Yes, I've also looked at that Onkyo 818 as well! The Anthem mx300 is $1000 and has nothing but stellar reviews, mostly due to their ARC room correction. Big deal breakers with this unit is only 4 HDMI inputs and I would have to go to one of those "High-end" shops that I didn't have a good experience in. My pio setup is way too confusing with the MCACC, it's almost too many options. That is appealing with the Anthem. It's seems very simple. Decisions, decisions...

Klipsch RF62 fronts

Klipsch RC62 center

Klipsch RW-12 and a Bic acoustec H100

Klipsch RS52 Sourrounds

·
Premium Member
93,222 Posts
AVR's listened to in a store will not very likely have the EQ setup run on the speakers connected to it, so whatever you get should sound much better after the Auto EQ has been run in your home. The Denon 3312CI and 3313CI both offer similar features although the 3313Ci adds a few and loses a few from the 3312CI (review the 2012 and 2013 Denon AVR threads linked in my sig to compare feature differences). You may also want to consider the Marantz line of AVRs which offer a full set of pre-outs starting with the 500X series (equiv to the 2112/3CI). Also note that the new Denon "X" series is to be announced next week with release shortly thereafter which will offer a few more features as well.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker  /t/1469806/replacing-my-dinosaur-receiver-yamaha-dsp-a1-need-opinions#post_23241654

My trusted dinosaur receiver is on it's way out and is leaving me slowly. It has been a great receiver for many years, but it's slowly dying. First I lost power and have to crank up the volume to 50% to get to the levels where at I at before with 25% volume. Then I lost my rear channels, now I'm losing my bass output levels.

It's time to start looking at a new receiver. My requirements are pretty simple. HDMI input, output, and processing a must. Room correction is a must. Streaming and networking is not a big deal, my Blu-ray player has all of that already. I'm running a 5.2 system, but will be moving in the next few months and would like to be able to implement a 7.2 system if the new house permits.

My usage for the reciever will be 60-70% HT, and 30-40% music.

My current system includes:

-Klipsch RF-82 fronts

-Klipsch RC-64 center

-Klipsch RB-3 rears

-Two sealed SI 18 subwoofers

In the next year I'll be switching out the speakers to a set of Clearwave Dyanmic 4T and 4CC, DIY builds.

Budget is no more than $1k.

The following are my current top contenders:

-Sherwood Newcastle R-972

-Onkyo TX-NR818

-Denon AVR-3312CI

-Denon AVR-3313CI

Aside from the few bugs taht the R-972 has, it seems to get great reviews for sound quality, and the Trinnov gets great reviews.

The TX-NR818 seems to be a great bang for the buck, but from the few Onkyos I've heard at the local dealers, I think music sounds like crap with them. Onkyo use to have a pretty bad reputation when it came to reliability, I don't know if that's the case anymore.

The Denons seem to be pretty good all around, haven't heard too many complaints.

Please share your opinion and recomendations. All input are appreciated. I will be running a separate amp for the front 3 channels when I get my new speakers built, so the reciever will be powering just the two rear channels. Therefore, wattage per channel isn't too big of a deal.

Thanks,

I found the Trinnov Optimizer interesting in the Sherwood. Good reviews here:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/sherwood-newcastle-r-972-av-receiver

http://www.hometheater.com/receivers/sherwood_newcastle_r-972_av_receiver/

Not enough HDMI inputs for me, but you can get it new here for $599 http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=SHERR972&gclid=CO2z4Nzi5LYCFYYw4AodggEA8g

Has a three year warranty. I'm not crazy about the back panel layout.

Sherwood R-972 back panel (I noticed that I have to lean my head at a left angle in order to read the labeling on the back of this receiver. Not a good thing, but still a great value)

I think the Sherwood is the best looking receiver. The gold feet talk to me.. Don't know if this version is available in the US:

The flickr pictures for the Sherwood back panel is a overseas unit with no banana plug speaker connection option. US receivers have banana plug speaker connections.

Gold receivers were popular overseas a few years ago...

Onkyo TX-SA806X

Full disclosure - I have 2 Onkyo receivers, a silver 806, and an 809. The 809 was an Amazon Warehouse deal - I needed a receiver that could pass 3D, at a reasonable price point. $425 was very reasonable. Even though it was a "used" receiver, all of the accessories were included, and the previous owner printed up the manual on a laser printer. I purchased a square trade warranty to cover my assets, just in case - but so far it's been bulletproof. Not too long ago, Amazon was blowing out 818 units at an insane price to move inventory. I like the on screen user interface of the Onkyo receivers, and the back panel is laid out in a more logical layout. Has twice the number of HDMI inputs and one of the is MHL capable.

Listening to a receiver in a store compared to having it in house to eval is like night and day. My 809 sounded great when I bought it - and I had the option to return it if I did not like it. It's now paired to a Carver AV-405 to power the F/C/R channels, and as a pre-amp, it serves its function.

Onkyo TX-NR 818 back panel

100 more than the Marantz for a refurb 818 with a one year warranty - $800 everywhere else. Good bang for the buck. My 806 and 809 have been very reliable. Your mileage may vary - but that is how it is with any electronic device. The number of users on AVS Forum who have issues with equipment is miniscule compared to the number of people who are using their stuff worldwide with no issues.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR818/Onkyo-TX-NR818-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

I'd suggest the blue echo hdmi ez lock device to secure your HDMI cables to any receiver to relieve the stress and extend the life on the HDMI board. http://www.blueechosolutions.com/proddetail.php?prod=hd-ez-lock

I use the blue echo devices on the monitor out blue gefen cable to my television, and the HDMI 5 connection is a 30 foot HDMI cable to the HTPC in the basement. That cable connector is massive, and heavy. I don't have to worry about that cable putting stress on the board because the connection is solid.

Denon 3312 back panel

Denon 3313 back panel

When I used to sell Denon and Onkyo, at circuit, i always thought the Denon receivers sounded better than the Onkyo receivers - just a bit warmer. But the navigation of the control set from the receiver was a nightmare. You also had to flip the remote over to its backside to access other functions. Honest. Sorry, my bias is showing.

Any of these receivers should have enough juice to drive your current and future speakers. And they have pre-outs to add an external amp later, if need be. Do you have any equipment that has an s-video or composite connection? If so, look at the Denon 3312 or the Sherwood. All of the receivers have a phono input for us old school analog dudes. Make sure you buy something that has enough inputs for all of your devices - either now or down the road. Good night..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker  /t/1469806/replacing-my-dinosaur-receiver-yamaha-dsp-a1-need-opinions#post_23242089

If you don't mind me piggy backing off your thread. I'm in the same boat. Going to be moving into a new house as well, which means bigger tv, and a new receiver. I currently have a Pio vsx 1018 and I hate it. The sound coupled with my Klipsch's never sounded right. The sound literally hurts my ears. It's my second PIO and hated em both, no more for me. The only other receiver I loved was my Yamaha but that was back in the 6.1 days and all I have been hearing about was how Yamaha's have been cutting corners and don't make them like they used to. I too have heard about Onkyo's vulnerabilities. Also have heard good things about Denon. Yes, I've also looked at that Onkyo 818 as well! The Anthem mx300 is $1000 and has nothing but stellar reviews, mostly due to their ARC room correction. Big deal breakers with this unit is only 4 HDMI inputs and I would have to go to one of those "High-end" shops that I didn't have a good experience in. My pio setup is way too confusing with the MCACC, it's almost too many options. That is appealing with the Anthem. It's seems very simple. Decisions, decisions...

Klipsch RF62 fronts

Klipsch RC62 center

Klipsch RW-12 and a Bic acoustec H100

Klipsch RS52 Sourrounds

No worries,if this thread can help someone else out too, then that's even better. The Pioneer receivers are really nice looking, but I've ruled them out due to sound quality and the room correction system isn't that great.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think the combo between Pio & klipsch doesn't really match well with me.

@myoda: Thanks for your input. Nice setup there! I saw the htpc in action but I didn't see the pc. I am using an Antec 1200 for my htpc. I kinda went the other direction than what most people use. What size tv is that?!?! I like your dual tower component furniture. I went with an all-under-tv component style layout.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you myoda for the detailed response. So far I have the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 on top of my list. I hear a lot of great report on the sound quality.

I've glanced a little bit at the newer Harman Kardon receivers too. They're very musical receivers, but the room correction isn't great... Hmn

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker  /t/1469806/replacing-my-dinosaur-receiver-yamaha-dsp-a1-need-opinions#post_23246476

I think the combo between Pio & klipsch doesn't really match well with me.

@myoda: Thanks for your input. Nice setup there! I saw the htpc in action but I didn't see the pc. I am using an Antec 1200 for my htpc. I kinda went the other direction than what most people use. What size tv is that?!?! I like your dual tower component furniture. I went with an all-under-tv component style layout.

Hi John:

My small form factor dell 780 pc is in the basement - using a 30ft gefen HDMI cable to feed a 70 inch Sharp. It makes a great monitor. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts