AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't get into the why of me selling/replacing my current Revel setup, other than to say I want to pocket some extra cash by replacing my Be LCR speakers AND I want to go with a better in-ceiling option for Atmos and on-wall option for my surrounds.

My setup is currently towers + matching center (directly under TV) for the LCR, two in-wall speakers behind the seating for the surrounds (bad placement) and four in-ceiling speakers in somewhat ideal Dolby Atmos placement. Seating is a 3-seat couch with the middle seat (MLP) being perfectly centered on the LCR and Atmos speakers. Usage is nearly all movie/non-music usage.

My main needs:
1) For the new LCR, I would like better off-axis performance of up to 25 degrees, especially from the center speaker, as I use the left seat of my couch nearly as much as the center seat (I do most of my work from the left seat). I crossover my current Be speakers at 80Hz so no need for a really deep digging speaker (meaning if I go with Golden Ear I wouldn't get any of the towers with built-in subs).

2) For the new surrounds, I need something that can go on-wall AND on-stands, as one side of the seating (picture attached) has a side wall but the other side of the seating is open space (so need a stand). The surround speakers would also ideally be low profile (something like the Sat 3 from Golden Ear or the Surround 3 from Paradigm) as the right seat of the couch is nearly up against the wall, so even with the right surround speaker placed slightly behind the couch, it can't stick out too far. I am OK if the surround speakers need crossed over around 100Hz (that's how I run my current in-wall surrounds).

3) For the new in-ceilings, they need to be angled. Period. And not an aimable tweeter, but an actual fully angled woofer/tweeter setup like the Paradigm CI Pro P80-A or the Golden Ear 7000 series.

Now, obviously both Paradigm and Golden Ear have speakers that fit all my needs above but I am stuck between dome vs. folded ribbon tweeter for mainly movie usage.
I have had both Paradigm (Monitor series 7) and Golden Ear (Aon bookshelves + Super Center) but this was over 6 years ago in a completely different room using a budget receiver (I now have a pre/pro and more than capable amps).

I have also seen good reviews for the Emotiva T2+ and C2+ for LCR. I could then use the Golden Ear in-ceiling speakers (also folded ribbon) and one of the bookshelf or surround options of Emotiva for my surround situation.

I suppose the first major question: should I be looking to stick with dome tweeter or is the folded ribbon a good option?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Hello.
What about Monoprice THX-365T THX with the THX 365c center? That center has a wide horizontal dispersion, much wider than the c2+ for example, and overall is a better center. I tested both as well as many others recently.
Or if you want emotiva I would rather do the c1+ center.

• Haha
Reactions: Angelp1977

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My main needs:
1) For the new LCR, I would like better off-axis performance of up to 25 degrees, especially from the center speaker, as I use the left seat of my couch nearly as much as the center seat (I do most of

I suppose the first major question: should I be looking to stick with dome tweeter or is the folded ribbon a good option?
Hi,

Ribbons will have wider horizontal dispersion but tighter vertical dispersion. Domes a bit less horizontal but a little more vertical dispersion. So it really just depends on your room and positions. 25 degrees from center implies 50 total degrees of near "on axis" performance, which is a big ask from most speakers anyways. The dispersion is mostly the treble and upper mids anyways, as being off-axis those are the frequencies that drop hard the fastest. Lower frequencies are much more forgiving in that way. The third option would be to explore compression drivers, such as horns. And if you want to maintain timbre matching on your LCR, ideally, just use the same speaker for all three and keep them vertical. Horizontal has no special benefit other than the space niche it fills, so if you don't need the horizontal spacing, stick to vertical.

Have you considered something like Ascend or Philharmonic / Salk Sound? The RAAL tweeter has crazy wide dispersion, it would fill all your seating with nearly on-axis performance.

Very best,

·
Vendor
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Ribbons will have wider horizontal dispersion but tighter vertical dispersion. Domes a bit less horizontal but a little more vertical dispersion. So it really just depends on your room and positions. 25 degrees from center implies 50 total degrees of near "on axis" performance, which is a big ask from most speakers anyways. The dispersion is mostly the treble and upper mids anyways, as being off-axis those are the frequencies that drop hard the fastest. Lower frequencies are much more forgiving in that way. The third option would be to explore compression drivers, such as horns. And if you want to maintain timbre matching on your LCR, ideally, just use the same speaker for all three and keep them vertical. Horizontal has no special benefit other than the space niche it fills, so if you don't need the horizontal spacing, stick to vertical.

Have you considered something like Ascend or Philharmonic / Salk Sound? The RAAL tweeter has crazy wide dispersion, it would fill all your seating with nearly on-axis performance.

Very best,
25 is worst case scenario guestimate, maybe more like 18-20. But still.
A vertical center is not possible at this time (TV).

I had briefly tried compression driver speakers in this room before but quickly said "No". Just couldn't get them to sound good (again, with the room limitation/layout).

I have looked at Ascend and Philharmonic/Salk but as stated, I need/want to stick with one brand I can incorporate into all my speaker positions (surrounds and Atmos).

·
Registered
719 Posts
RSL? The CG5 has pretty great horizontal dispersion. Could use those for LCR.
Colorfulness Rectangle Orange Slope Font

The CG3 as a surround, while a quite small speaker sounds great. They're what I currently use for surround duty. The can be stand mounted, wall mounted via a keyhole mount, or on a threaded mount. It does need to be crossed around 100Hz.

The C34e is lauded as one of the best Atmos speakers on the market these days.

Reactions: RayGuy

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Premier 200B/600C.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
You have F226Bes and a C426Be now? I don't think you're finding much better off-axis performance in a center than the latter offers, especially at a lower price point.

You mentioned Emotiva. I've had both setups, and while the T2+ towers are fantastic for the price, they are easily outclassed by the Be towers, and the C2+ is not remotely in the same league as the C426Be.

If cost savings is a primary goal, they'll certainly work. Just make sure your expectations are realistic.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
You could also go to the Founders series. I auditioned the powered towers, and they sounded VERY nice.

·
Vendor
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Premier 200B/600C.
You could also go to the Founders series. I auditioned the powered towers, and they sounded VERY nice.
The Founder looks very nice, but one goal of this switch is to save some money after reselling the current speakers/setup.

Do you think the Premier 200B is good enough/no need to go for the towers?

·
Vendor
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have F226Bes and a C426Be now? I don't think you're finding much better off-axis performance in a center than the latter offers, especially at a lower price point.

You mentioned Emotiva. I've had both setups, and while the T2+ towers are fantastic for the price, they are easily outclassed by the Be towers, and the C2+ is not remotely in the same league as the C426Be.

If cost savings is a primary goal, they'll certainly work. Just make sure your expectations are realistic.
Definitely going into it with realistic expectations. Having already "downsized" from a Trinnov to an Anthem AVM and from Kaleidescape movies to iTunes streaming movies....I know I may be sacrificing that extra 5-10% performance that double/triple the cost brings. But saving money is the name of the game at the moment WHILE still keeping every bit of the performance I can. Goal is to get to a dedicated build where I won't have to sacrifice or compromise on setup, hence me "settling" for now.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Definitely going into it with realistic expectations. Having already "downsized" from a Trinnov to an Anthem AVM and from Kaleidescape movies to iTunes streaming movies....I know I may be sacrificing that extra 5-10% performance that double/triple the cost brings. But saving money is the name of the game at the moment WHILE still keeping every bit of the performance I can. Goal is to get to a dedicated build where I won't have to sacrifice or compromise on setup, hence me "settling" for now.
DIY or kits would allow you to keep top shelf performance on a dime. I only bring it up since you've built stuff.

Very best,

·
Registered
5.2.4 | AVR Marantz SR6015 | KEF Q950 | Q650 | Q550 | Q50a |2 Rythmik LV12F | LG C1 83"
40 Posts
You may want to consider the Martin Logan Motion series (ribbon tweeters), I actually preferred them over their Paradigm Premier series brethren when I auditioned them, your mileage may vary. Also, I know you are between dome and ribbon - have you thought of Coaxial? Something like KEF?

·
Vendor
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may want to consider the Martin Logan Motion series (ribbon tweeters), I actually preferred them over their Paradigm Premier series brethren when I auditioned them, your mileage may vary. Also, I know you are between dome and ribbon - have you thought of Coaxial? Something like KEF?
I have but I don't have a way to audition them.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The RSL, as mentioned by Enchy, above, is a good option. Clean and neutral sound at a very reasonable price. They also have all the "components" available, C34E for in-ceiling (fully angled baffle in addition to angled tweeter), CG5 and CG25 for the front stage, and CG3 for the surrounds. Free returns, if not satisfied. Given your interest in keeping the total outlay reasonable, this set should be seriously considered.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have Paradigm Studio 20s, GE Triton Twos and Revel F208s. Out of those, I would say the f208s have by far the best off axis response. I find their sound changes very little seat-to-seat. I did not have the same experience with the Triton Twos. They seemed to have a much smaller, more narrow horizontal sweet spot.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The RSL, as mentioned by Enchy, above, is a good option. Clean and neutral sound at a very reasonable price. They also have all the "components" available, C34E for in-ceiling (fully angled baffle in addition to angled tweeter), CG5 and CG25 for the front stage, and CG3 for the surrounds. Free returns, if not satisfied. Given your interest in keeping the total outlay reasonable, this set should be seriously considered.
All 9 speakers for less than one of the Revel towers sells for used. Heck of a deal. The finish on the RSLs is really wonderful for the price too. Going from the Revel finish to RSL is more of a sidegrade than a downgrade.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts