Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm replacing my 2 year old Infocus LP350 with a new projector, however, I'm not sure with which one! :) I'd welcome suggestions..

Things I like about the Infocus LP350 (which I require from the new projector):

Size and weight! I want the new projector to be in the same range, size and weight-wise.

Picture quality! Luminance, clarity, XGA-res. All in all, I've been very satisfied with the picture from the LP350.

Deinterlacer! This was OK in the LP350.

Heat and noise. This was OK, even though I wasn't fully satisfied with the noise level..

Things I want the new projector to handle (or handle better than the LP350):

Wireless connection (preferred but not required). 1st hand: Bluetooth, in 2nd hand: 802.11b.

480p: In general, the LP350 wasn't very successful with progressive signals.

Widescreen (preferred but not required)

component inputs! (Perhaps the american version had this, however, my unit was european)

Bottom line.. I want a modern LP350 style projector in that it should be very good and discrete for presentations and also perform well in HT situations (ie. doesn't actually have to be a HT-monster..).

regards from Sweden,

Robert

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok,

even though I got no replies on this thread, I thought I would share this..

I finally settled for a NEC LT240 and I have to say that it's the *perfect* replacement for the LP350. Absolutely everything is substantially improved:

Rainbows: Better (Instead of annoying me all the time, I actually forgot it after a while)

Noise: Much better, especially in the "eco"-mode.

Light and contrast: I'd assume this is a lot better (I haven't made detalied tests)

Black level: Much better

Light leakage: Much better, both at the wall/screen and around the projector itself (the LP350 in operation looked like a lightbulb in comparison)

Plus, there are a lot more features (usb, pc-card slot, horiz.+vert. keystone etc etc.) on the LT240.

So, all in all, a perfect choice for both HT and business presentations.

regards,

Robert

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh,

one thing about the LT240: interlaced content sux **bigtime** on this Projector!! That's as expected however. IIRC, the LP350 supposedly had a terrific deinterlacer/linedoubler.

I just can't understand why the PJ-makers down-prioritize deinterlacing. Many things such as Video games, DVD-output, set-top-box output etc. is still mainly using interlace (and probably will for a long time here in europe). As it is, I can't use the LT240 for these things as the picture is close to unwatchable..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

thanks for the reply!

I've tried using iuLab iuVCR for s-video input from those three devices (my STB, DVD-player and my console) and then connecting vga->vga to the PJ, however, I actually found the resulting image worse than just connecting the device to the PJ directly! I have no idea why. The computer monitor representation of the S-video input on my ASUS 8200Deluxe (GeForce 3) looks ok.. In theory, one shouldn't need these expensive deinterlacers and scalers (if s-video quality is considered sufficient). Even on computer gfx cards. It should be easy to implement in computer software.

Hopefully dscaler will do a better job than iuVCR. I'll try this as soon as I can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.