AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys so my wife keeps on telling me to buy an LCD AGAIN but the 52 inch and that i wont be disappointed, i want to buy the HL61A750 but she says she wants to put the TV on the wall and that i shouldnt buy that, she said i should buy the LN52A650 or the LN52A550(same model as my current 46" A550 which im selling sunday just the 52 inch version)

is LCD better than the 61" DLP PQ wise? i told her that PQ doesnt really matter because it still might not have the wow factor, but the 61" DLP has a wow factor right guys?

Please help me decide, i could overcome her want for an LCD but what can i tell her about the DLP other than that it has a wow factor and the LCD doesnt. not to mention the LCD A650 will cost me like 500$ more from amazon.com

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
There are many fewer repair problems with LCD than DLP. I have both, and the LCDs just seem more stable and reliable, tho I haven't had problems with my DLP. But I know with all it's moving internal parts, it's just a problem waiting to happen.

If I was buying a new tv today to replace my DLP, I would go LCD. Both have excellent picture quality but LCDs are easier to live with.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hows that so? i heared theres not much difference between the a650 and the a550 picture quality wise other than the AMP and i dont think i SHOULD stash 2200$ on a TV

im having a hard time

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Proper 1080p/24 via 5:5 cadence. A professional UK review said the 1080p/24 handling on the 550 introduced more judder. Makes sense, considering it's a 60Hz set. It would have to be able to change its refresh rate to do proper 1080p/24. If it can switch to 58Hz or 72Hz, let me know. No biggy if you're fine with 3:2 processing, and up until now you have been, correct? I'm guessing it can accept the 1080p/24 signal, but it processes the signal to be displayed at 3:2.

Higher contrast ratio on the 650. Not sure if this is caused by an extra function in the TV's processing or otherwise, but it's rated much higher.

Glossy screen. Adds depth to the picture, but will also be a draw back with direct sunlight on the panel.

1ms faster response time. I've never seen either panel, so I can't say if it matters that much. Perhaps it was just measured with Amp or 120hz on? Not sure.

Amp, which I don't really give a rip about, but some have fallen in love with it.

BTW, the A550 is still a very strong TV. For me, though, the A650 would be worth the extra cash because I like 1080p/24 when properly processed and displayed, and I like glossy screens that add depth. However, I'm in a room with no external windows, except for the window directly behind the TV, which I use to control backlighting during the day. If I had direct sunlight on a glossy screen, I'm sure I'd dissaprove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts