AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I currently have a sanyo plv-z2 and am looking at upgrading. For the last 6 years I have had it in a dedicated theater room and it worked great. Since then we have turned that into a bedroom and moved the projector into a rec room with alot more light. Even with the shades pulled it's hard to see the image during the day. Obviously I need one with more lumans but do I want to upgrade to 1080p? What contrast ratio do I want. Here is my criteria:

Room size: 12x20

Projection throw: 12ft

Sitting distance: 10 to 15ft

Da-lite 92" screen

White walls and ceiling

50% sports 50% movies

Price: $700-$1500

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
CEDIA is only a week or so away, that is when new information on new models are released.

You can see the link in my signature for some quick information on a few comparisons for current models.

Also www.projectorreviews.com is a good source for research.

Wait for the new information on the new models from CEDIA, but if things remain unchanged for what's basically available sub $1500 at the moment, then I'm going to say the Mits hc4000 is your best bet if you do NOT care about 3D, and ONLY if the Mits will fit in your room. The Mits is a DLP without lens shift, so your ceiling needs to be at least about 8+ feet high or a little higher even depend how you mount it (unless you will be floor mounting) and how big your screen is.

If you want to stick with LCD, there is the Epson 8350.

The Mits hc4000 DLP will produce one of the best pictures in this price range. Otherwise, if you want 3D, then I'm going to say Optoma HD33 or HD3300 until we know more. The Mits hc4000 seems to beat the Optoma for 2D picture quality though.

If you need more placement flexibility, the Benq w6000 DLP is available near this price as well from som evendors.

Out of all of these in your price range, I would probably first look into the Benq w6000 or the Mits hc4000, and if you think those won't do the trick, go for the Epson 8350 (or like I said wait until after CEDIA as something better may come in at your price).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm leaning to the Epson 8350 mainly for the lumans. I'm I wrong by thinking the mits4000 wouldn't be bright enough for me? My z2 is 800 lumans and just stinks in the room I have it in now. The optima6000 is just a little out if my price range I'm afraid. Also will no lens shift hurt me if I go with the mits?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
Which Da-Lite screen do you have?

Quite the opposite, on a 92" Da-Lite either the Mits or Epson projector is plenty bright (is your screen a High Power screen, if yes then your pushing too bright depending on your mounting setup and ceiling height?).

The Mits hc4000 should be fine on a 92" screen that has no gain, it will actually be a bit too bright for a while, but should wear in ok. The Epson 8350 in best mode is about the same as the Mits, as the Mits technically being a tiny bit brighter in best mode. The 8350 is much brighter in its brightest mode, but using those modes you lose color accuracy pretty fast once you try to get too bright.

The Sanyo lumens claims are far from accurate when talking real-world numbers in a viewing situation. Even if your projector is not calibrated and you are in Dynamic or VIVID mode, you would still not be getting 800 lumens on an older Sanyo, especially with some age on the lamp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have fixed wall high contrast da mat. 8'ceilings. 11' throw. My sanyo is still the original lamp so in sure this is part if my issue. I'm still a little confused by you saying the mits is brighter than the Epson even though the Epson has higher lumens. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
The Mits is brighter in its "BEST MODE", the Epson is brighter overall. The Epson does have more room for a "close enough" to best mode with higher lumens than the Mits.

If you crank the Epson or the Mits up too far, the image will get a GREEN tint to it, faces will look green. This is less noticeable to some for things like Sports but very noticeable for skin tones.

So yes, the Epson is brighter overall, but not in its best most accurate color mode.

Best mode is generally the mode people will watch movies in. You know how your Sanyo has different image modes that affect how bright it is, same concept. The dimmer modes are usually better for movies NOT because they are dimmer, but because they produce more color accurate images.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
Overall you have nothing to worry about with either the Mits or the Epson when it comes to brightness for your screen size. It's completely a non-issue at that screen size. Sanyo's were always much dimmer projectors than most.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great advise guys. Thanks. I think it's defiantly between these two. Is there any threads out there that directly compare these two projectors? Also should I wait until after the expo hoping the price drops on both of these models?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
The Mits hc4000 produces the better image, and almost every reviewer that has tested it has said the Mits wins, as well as people in this forum that tested it (the people that truly compared them, not the fan clubs).

That said, either projector will blow you away coming from a Sanyo z2, the upgrade will be huge.

The disadvantage to the Mits is the placement flexibility issue. It does not have lens shift like most LCD's do, so you need to be able to get the projector's lens horizontally centered as well as the vertical placement to be agreeable. With the 8350, you can mount it almost anywhere, it is much more flexible.

The Mits hc4000 definitely produces the better image overall, but

if you are not sure if you will be sensitive to the RBE effect (only 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 people are at most), then you may want to make sure that wherever you buy it from has a decent return policy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.