AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I think my Z2 throws a decent image. However, now that I have upgraded my other gear, I am have HDCP issues with the Z2 and my new receiver (Denon 1911) and blu-ray player. The receiver doesn't have any component output on it, only HDMI, further adding to my situation. I don't want to mess with an arrangement of component switches and cables , etc. just to get video out to the Z2. All of my other equipment, including a plasma tv that I use for everyday viewing are connected via HDMI.

So now the main question. Do you think the 8350 is a step up image wise from my Z2? I was assuming 6 years of technology, and the jump to 1080p, would be quite an advantage. This will be used in a basement with white walls and ceiling and pretty much 100% light control. If I turn the lights out, you would be hard pressed to see your hand in front of you.

I really like the price point of the 8350. That being said, I really don't want to spend the money on the 8350 if the only real advantage is the hdmi connections that solve my connection issues. If money didn't matter, I would probably get the Epson 8700UB.

If the 8350 isn't much of an upgrade, I will make do with the Z2 and some odd arrangment of connections until the 8700UB comes down in price a little.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
Wait at least 3 weeks or so if you can, after the CEDIA show new projectors are being released very soon.

You might also consider a DLP if you don't need lens shift.

Optoma HD33 w/ 3d and 1080p will be sub $1500, also the Mits hc4000 has been out for a year now around $1000 and beats the Epson 8350 IMO.

Some more new models coming from Panny, Epson, Benq, Optoma, and Mits as well.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I had a Z2 and I've seen the 8350 in action, but I bought a 8700

You will probably love the improvement as much as I did

I'd wait to see what the new models announcements first and then decide

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would suggest wait as well, price points wont change a whole lot, but new products will come out. I dont hate DLP, but I'm a bigger fan of LCD projectors..and own and love the 8350. Is it up to par with the 8700? No, but when I found a brand new one on eBay for 950 bucks, my choice was made. IMO, unless you want 3D, go with LCD. Lens shift is fantastic and makes setup a breeze. Not trying to start a typical LCD vs DLP war here, just stating my opinion. 8350 is a great price and a great projector.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if pricing is an issue, with the help of fellow avs member allen in new england, i tracked down a few DILA JVC HD350s and got one dirt cheap! i stayed away from LCD tech mainly due to dust blob issues. PM me if you want some help finding those JVCs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.