AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Onkyo HT-S6200 and am planning a gradual replacement of everything. Sadly I had to start with the receiver (old one died and 3-4 weeks is too long to wait for repairs) and went with an Onkyo TX-SR806.

I don't have a ton to spend on speakers, probably $250/mo I can dedicate to putting something decent together. I was looking at going with the Infinity Primus P362's right now to replace the L/R speakers. Then I was going to grab the PC350 next month, and then gradually replace the SL/SR BL/BR with the 162's, and grab a sub as the last item.

I know I could wait a while and possibly build something a bit nicer, but I also plan on gradually replacing the new system I'll build with something better and move it from my living room to my gaming room

Now, the biggest questions I have other than speaker choice (any other 7 speaker setups costing around $1,000 - $1,500) is how the current speakers would work with the Infinity's. If I do just replace the L/R speakers to start, will they drown out the Onkyo center and make everything sound horrible? Any input would be very helpful, I currently have around $400 left to spend right now since the new receiver took a decent chunk out of my speaker fund.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The Primus speakers are a great "bang for you dollar" speaker. The full 5.1 or 7.1 set up will sound great. My friend has the same set up and loves it. If you run the audyssey set up properly on the 806 the center will match itself the best it can to the left and right speakers until you can get the PC350. You're doing it the right way by piecing it together rather than cheapening the system so you can get it all right now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You'd probably be fine with getting the L/R and relying on Audyssey to smooth out the center mismatch until you get the Primus center--but personally, I'd probably choose to just disable the center channel completely and go with a phantom center until you get the matching one. Then I'd definitely go for the sub after the LCR. The surrounds don't really need to match the fronts, especially for movies. If you're listening to 5.1 music, it's a slightly more important concern, but even then it's a personal preference thing. Having a potent sub, in my opinion, is much more worthwhile than having matching surrounds. So if you're looking at 250/month to set aside, I'd say get the LCR taken care of and then save for 2-3 months for a sub, then get the surrounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts