AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have grown tired of the HDMI issues on my receiver (only one source will display 1080p) and I'm looking to replace it.

I don't need it to be 3d capable so I'm hoping to find an older model cheap (looking to spend around $300+/- range)

Looking for:

1080p pass through

minimum 90w per channel

lossless HD codecs

preferably phono input

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The DIY set of threads in this forum has an excellent thread on fixing the HDMI boards on several models of Onkyo receivers around the time of the 606. You would need to be handy with a soldering iron. There are pictures. Apparently, the Onkyo receivers became very hot and eventually some parts on the HDMI board failed.

As far as I know, the new Onkyos have not had HDMI problems. My HT-RC260 (same amplifier as 608 but Onkyo did not pay the fee for THX certification which the 608 has). My 260 is only slightly above room temperature when I put my hand on it. Apparently, the fans in the new models keep the receivers cool. I bought my 260 to replace an eight year old THX receiver that did not have HDMI and the new lossless codecs.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't have time to tear the 606 open. (I have a ton of other unfinished projects around here I need to get to) I'm thinking of using the 606 to power some outdoor speakers since only the video is affected.

The HT-RC260 looks pretty nice... Does it have phono inputs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts