AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I start? I have read numerous threads about this, but I am confused as to the right method...seems to be several different opinions/approaches on how to accomplish the upgrade.

I have a Dell P3 with WinMe. I have never installed an HD on anything...but I am not afraid to try! I know that I will get an 80gig Maxtor.

Help! Feel free to route me to the proper thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Or just buy one from someone. There are a lot of them in all sizes on ebay. You then just have to open the unit and remove the old drive (and the EZbake), and plug the new one in and do a setup. I got mine from Mikeyboy, and it was great. The price difference is negligible, and you don't have to tear up youjr PC.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Oh come on....get your hands dirty a little and try it yourself. You have to start somewhere. Worse case is you try and fail, then contact someone who upgrades drives and send it to them. There are several people around who do this service for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Even if you are not technically savvy, it is very easy to upgrade your own Replay drive. The RTVPatch program gives you a nice Windows interface so you don't have to mess with boot disks or learn any linux commands.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiyuri
The RTVPatch program gives you a nice Windows interface so you don't have to mess with boot disks or learn any linux commands.
But only if you're using Win2k or WinXP. LightBulb is using WinME and therefore has no choice but use the Linux boot disk.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yeah, but the RTVPatch only works under Windows 2000 (possibly XP). I know it doesn't work on Win95 or Win98 (and probably WinME for that matter).

If you can get your hands on a computer that has Windows 2000, I would strongly recommend that option. It's more user friendly then the linux boot disk and you'll also be able to do the large cluster format which seems to help with memory issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Just to let you know, I did the upgrade that you want a couple of months ago using a Dell running Win98 and had absolutely no problems.

If you have never "cracked" your tower, then use your "Reference & Troubleshooting Guide" that came with your Dell. There is a section describing installation of a secondary HDD which is the easiest way to go. You would just use the IDE cables from your other drives (CD ROM, etc) to connect the two HDDs-the new one and the original one- onto the secondary controller plug in. Since the Software that you use to patch the drive is on a boot floppy, you can even disconnect your existing HDD if you like.

Follow the link that Mikeyboy gave to get the proper patch and follow the instructions on that link and by all means read the "read-me" file that is included with the patch.

Post back with any questions and someone will gladly answer them before you start the process.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Startracker

Please clarify your post. You said you used RTVPatch with Windows 98, later in your post you say you run the software from a boot floppy.

There are two versions of RTVPatch available.

One which runs off a Linux boot diskette that can be used on a system regardless of any operating system that is installed (it gets it's operating system off the boot diskette - linux). The down side of this version is that it dosen't support large clusters on the new drive, and the commands are sorta cryptic.

The Windows version does support large clusters but from what I've read it will not run under windows 98, ME, etc; it requires XP, 2000, etc.

So

Were you able to use the Windows version of RTVPatch with Win98 or did you use the Linux boot disk version of RTVPatch.

If you got the Windows version of RTVPatch to run with Win98 please tell me how. I presently have a RTV3060 with a 160GB drive (137GB usable) and would like to be able to go to large clusters but my PC has Win98 so I didn't believe it possible.

Anyone else have any input on this?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The Windows version of the RTVPatch only works on Windows 2000/XP. You'll need to run off the linux boot disk for all other operating systems. While the Windows version seems to start fine on Windows 95/98/ME, it does NOT recognize the drive.

I myself do not have a computer that has 2000/XP, so here is what I did:

1) Got a copy of the the Windows RTVPatch.

2) Downloaded an image of the RTV operating system from the internet (I know there are links at www.virtual2k.com )

3) Burned the image and the Windows RTVPatch to a CD.

4) Took the CD and the new drive to work (only helps if you work somewhere that has computers running Windows 2000/XP)

5) Install the drive, run the RTVPatch and used the image off the CD.

6) Went home, swapped drives and ran the RTV setup.

Obviously you can modify these steps a little (like taking the old and new drive and not worry about getting the image off the net).

·
Registered
23 Posts
You are correct, I used the Linux boot disk to do my upgrade on my Win98 system. After doing a low level format on the new Maxtor 80GB HDD I hooked up that drive as the master and the original Quantum drive as the slave and ran the RTV Patch from the boot disk.

One thing that I did find was that the the Linux disk and the Maxtor Utility disk would only recognize these drives when connected to the on-board IDE controller and not from my ATA 100 card.

I downloaded the RTV Patch this morning just to check out the Read-me file to see if anything had been changed and found that WinZip nor Ultimate zip would extract the files. Is there a problem with the file or is it just me?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.