AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Samsung UN88JS9500; Pioneer VSX-92TXH; 8x Realistic Mach One; Definitive Technology SuperCube I
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some backlight instability issues with my Samsung UN88JS9500. I've been considering what to replace it with and the new 4K USTs have been popping up in my advertising feeds quite frequently. Screen size is quite important to me and I'd like to go bigger, which makes them quite appealing. Am I crazy to consider them or to hope that image quality can match the existing TV?

My biggest concern is ambient light. The room where the TV is located is floor to ceiling windows on multiple sides. The ambient light is such that the current TV with it's high-gloss screen is difficult to make out through the reflection of the outdoors during the day. My understanding of projectors is that this is a fairly bad environment for projection.

My current thoughts are Optoma CinemaX Pro plus Elite Screens Aeon CLR (1/2/3 not sure) 120in screen. The Optoma for the 3500 lumen brightness which is higher than the Samsung, LG, and Optoma P2 options. Epson EpiqVision LS500 might be a good option as well. The CinemaX Pro + screen I'm expecting to come in <$5k.

Don't care about sound, have a full 7.1 setup that I'm quite happy with. I'm a bit saddened to lose the Tiezen OS and smart function, but these days I've gone back to using the Xbox for nearly everything anyway.

Other options are on the table however:
  • Samsung QN85Q90T keeps 4K and Quantum Dot support at 85in is just 3in less and is under $3k.
  • Samsung QN85Q950T trades 3in of size for 8K support, but at $10k.
  • Suffer a bit longer, see what next year brings.
One major question about pets: It seems to me that the laser projectors have the lens on the top of the body, where they are going to be extra prone to collecting dust and fur. I have very furry pets. How easily can the projector lens be cleaned and is it a problem for others?

·
Registered
502 Posts
My biggest concern is ambient light. The room where the TV is located is floor to ceiling windows on multiple sides. The ambient light is such that the current TV with it's high-gloss screen is difficult to make out through the reflection of the outdoors during the day. My understanding of projectors is that this is a fairly bad environment for projection.
Yeah...not going to work for UST even with a fresnel screen. If you can't control the light you're looking at a TV.

·
Registered
Samsung UN88JS9500; Pioneer VSX-92TXH; 8x Realistic Mach One; Definitive Technology SuperCube I
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...not going to work for UST even with a fresnel screen. If you can't control the light you're looking at a TV.
sigh Most unfortunate. I wish I could comfortably go see one in ambient light to get a feel for how bad it'd really be.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sometimes glare from things like TV screens can trigger my migraines. I hated those glossy screens but it was hard to get away from them. In our house we have two walls with pretty large amounts of light coming through both from the West and South. In the theater room half of one wall are windows that open to the North. We spent a good amount of money on nice custom made curtains with blackout backing. Pretty effective. Also put them in the bedroom which I can make pretty dark even in broad daylight. The perfect escape for those migraine events.

I just bought a Chinese market UST. I also got a UST screen that is made to reflect light up from the UST to the user's eyes. With these larger screens it is all about trade offs. You may be able to go large, but at a cost of brightness and flexibility of placement. If you had a 100" screen from a UST in a brightly lit room it will impact viewing but a smaller screen would give you more brightness. If you could darken it, not fully 'bat cave' but darken it, you may be okay with what you have. It is hard to say really since it will be up to your eyes, but even with some lights on my new PJ is very watchable. But it is better with less light.

Here is a pic of a 120" UST screen and the PJ in a room with curtains on the left (you can't see them but half the wall has windows on it) but lights on in the front and back of the room. This picture is very watchable. Might be brighter if the screen were smaller. Maybe in a year or two there might be still brighter USTs, but with windows on three walls you are going to need to invest in window treatments even if you want to enjoy a conventional TV in that room. I see these real estate shows on TV of these modern multi-million dollars houses with floor to ceiling glass and can't imagine how I could live in one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sigh Most unfortunate. I wish I could comfortably go see one in ambient light to get a feel for how bad it'd really be.
I have my P2 setup in my living room, which is facing south and has a ton of light.

I was in a similar position as you: my plasma TV had too many reflections from the windows during the day, so I was wondering if a UST screen would cut it.

Turns out it was a moot point:
  • I usually watch TV at night
  • when we do watch TV/movies during the day, if its too sunny we lower or even shut the blinds anyways
  • if there is not a lot of luminosity outside, the UST + ALR screen combo is sufficient for our usage during the day (mostly nature documentaries or cartoons for the kids)

So my UST projector habits end up being very similar to what I used to do when we had the plasma TV, since I couldn't stand the screen reflections anyways and would almost always lower or shut the blinds during most daytime viewing.

However, if I wasn't in a position to lower or shut my blinds, or if I wanted to avoid doing it, then I wouldn't go for a projector of any kind no matter the screen type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts