AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making the move to HDTV in the next few weeks, replacing my 4 yr old Sony XBR with 65" HDTV. My only concern is that the DSS picture quality not be worse with the new TV. I have always thought the DSS pq with the Sony was very good. Will I be disappointed to find out that these new TV's with their internal line doublers produce a poorer quality DSS picture?? Would the addition of an external line doubler such as the iScan Pro help with DSS picture quality?? Could I mate the iScan with a Tosh and get the same quality picture as the Pionerer Elite for still thousands less?? Thanks for the insight on this. It will help me with my purchase.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you're buying this TV primarily for DSS, then maybe you should demo DSS on it before purchasing.

That said these new HDTV's are incredible with the right signals such as HDTV, Anamorphic DVD from a progressive scan DVD player, etc.

In my own case upgrading to an HDTV was not kind to my old Sony DVD player. The non-progressive player was not a good match for the HDTV. There were many more artifacts visible now than before. If anything I expected it to be the other way around. Once I replaced the Sony with a progressive scan DVD player, Toshiba SD-6200, things were much better.

I have a few NTSC stations via cable that are not digital and these stations look great upconverted to 480p by the set's internal line doubler.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
DirecTV doesn't look all that great on any system - there's just too much compression after the advent of the local stations on satellite. A better way to judge how a set will deal with NTSC is DVD - you'll get a cleaner picture on which to evaluate the internal doubler's performance.

You won't be able to equal the Pioneer elite's performance on a Toshiba with an IScan Pro on HD material, but you might on NTSC. On the other hand, why buy an IScan Pro if you get the Tosh? I would think you'd be much better off buying a progressive scan DVD player and use the internal doubler for DirecTV.

Just My 0.02

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm also in the process of eventually buying an HDTV in the next six months. From what I have observed in the many HDTVs I have evaluated, the Pioneer Elites seem to do about the best of everything, including upconversion of DirecTV. Of course the local channels on Direct don't look quite as good as the movie channels.

Also the Elites have 3:2 pull down (film mode) line muliplers. This means, depending on the DVD player, you may not need one that's progressive scan. Results have varied however.

Regards

[This message has been edited by ongopt (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
199 Posts
The larger the screen you go to, the more important the source quality becomes, and DSS will not improve with screen size no matter what you do, the bandwidth allowed for each channel determines. That's why OTA broadcast or C-band analog can be so good in comparison. Theres more bandwidth used.

Film on the other hand can vary considerably depending on the makers budget and expertise.

I-scans and other doublers can help eliminate artifacts and moire' but won't remove the softness created from compression which the small dish people do in abundance.

I can only speak from my own experience and others who have stated their own.

I have more than one home theatre with different size screens and all the formats available today. You will also find with the larger screen the purchase of the set doesn't stop there. If you want the best quality your set will deliver regardless of source, the receivers, cables, vcr's, dvd players, even perhaps a good quality line conditioner with filters can improve the picture depending on your location.

If you're in for the duration, I suggest you buy the best you can afford after careful research and don't expect one or two things to satisfy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

hermithill

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my frustration is that I have never been able to accurately determine the difference, visually, between two HDTV's such as, say, the Tosh and the Pioneer. I've yet to visit antwhere where they have those two, or any two for that matter, sitting side by side for comparison. I walk in and they have the Pioneer in a separate room with a progressive scan DVD of Dinasaur running and then across the room the Tosh has A Bug's Life on DVD as well. Both pictures look great. If I ask them to switch to a DSS channel, say ESPN or something, they often have great difficulty making this happen. Let's assume I have the Denon 5800 with excellent cables, a HDTV tuner for analog and HDTV, a Monster line conditioner and Toshiba's progressive scan DVD player. Regardless of source, will I see enough difference in the picture quality if I simply replace the Tosh 65H80 with the Pioneer to make it worth the thousands extra it costs?? And if the answer is yes, can I bridge the gap in quality by adding something like an iScan to the Tosh and still be paying less in total?? Therein lies my dilemma.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.