AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchased an onkyo rz1100 I have strong urge to replace my Sony Core center. I have 7.1 (guess 7.3 really)... I have 3 subs scattered about the room. I know mixing and matching brands usually doesn't go well and wondered if anyone had a suggestion on what would help out the Sony cores I have. They sound fine but I really feel like I need a little more out of my center channel. it would be nice to stay around 200 bucks I usually wait until stuff goes on sale before I buy..

that being said i have only had the 1100 a week or so and have not settled on the settings yet i make some changes and listen for a day or two but every setting so far says i need more center channel

thanks

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
For $200, I'd say go up to BB and try the Elac C5.2. If no good, easy returns.

The Emotiva C1 has been getting recommendations here lately, $250 or so... maybe $200ish if okay with open-box. But it's probably safer to first try something you can return for free.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Since I purchased an onkyo rz1100 I have strong urge to replace my Sony Core center. I have 7.1 (guess 7.3 really)... I have 3 subs scattered about the room. I know mixing and matching brands usually doesn't go well and wondered if anyone had a suggestion on what would help out the Sony cores I have. They sound fine but I really feel like I need a little more out of my center channel. it would be nice to stay around 200 bucks I usually wait until stuff goes on sale before I buy..

that being said i have only had the 1100 a week or so and have not settled on the settings yet i make some changes and listen for a day or two but every setting so far says i need more center channel

thanks
More info regarding what, specifically, you find to be a problem with the Sony center channel speaker. The L&R are OK, though? How far away do you sit? How loud do you normally listen? How is the center channel sitting (in a cabinet, on the wall, ...)? Pics might help. Center channel position matters.

Also, it wasn't a problem before you purchased the Onkyo? What were you using before? Please explain the difference in sound.

·
Registered
17,056 Posts
I know mixing and matching brands usually doesn't go well and wondered if anyone had a suggestion on what would help out the Sony cores I have.
Actually, having a mismatched center is often IDEAL in many cases, such as with speaker series like the Cores where the L/R bookshelves are great but the manufacturer decided to [email protected] the center knowing very well that most consumers are very gullible and quick to swallow the "timbre matching" folklore, especially if the center happens to be on the smallish side and thus easier to fit inside a TV cabinet as well as garner higher WAF. One of the most common myths in a myth-filled hobby, in fact.

What you can do to see if you can improve your Core center's performance:

1. Play with different crossover settings...some center speakers produce better clarity with a higher crossover than the standard 80Hz.

2. Tweak positioning: make sure the center's tweeter is either at ear level or pointing up at ear level at the main listening position using rubber doorstop wedges.

3. Tweak positioning: if the center is pushed back inside the cabinet, pull it forward so that its front edge is aligned with the front edge of the shelf it's sitting on. Better yet, pull it even more forward so that it juts out 1-3 inches from the front edge of its shelf.

4. Tweak positiioning: put felt or rubber feet that's often sold for furniture, in order to decouple the speaker from the shelf, by at least 1/8" of an inch or more.

5. Tweak positioning: if there is a coffee table or some other obstruction between your main listening position and the center, remove it if possible.

If none of the above help in any significant way to your ears, then by all means toss it---Craigslist, eBay, etc. The center is the real backbone/workhorse of any HT setup (doing at least 80% of the audio output) and far too important to accept any compromises.

At the very least, using a single Core bookshelf as the center will probably yield significant improvement. However having had both, I'd say that the extra dough for the aforementioned Emotiva C1 is cash supremely well spent. The C2 would probably be even better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info regarding what, specifically, you find to be a problem with the Sony center channel speaker. The L&R are OK, though? How far away do you sit? How loud do you normally listen? How is the center channel sitting (in a cabinet, on the wall, ...)? Pics might help. Center channel position matters.

Also, it wasn't a problem before you purchased the Onkyo? What were you using before? Please explain the difference in sound.
Thanks for the fast response
The L&R seem ok

I sit about 9 feet from the center and its in a cabinet about Knee high I know that's not ideal but that's wife approved and a compromise

I listen to it pretty loud for music and movies you feel both on the receiver it ranges from 60 to 85 roughly

Room size is 24x16 we sit in the middle so about 9-11 feet from tv and center

very hard to explain but my last onkyo seem to make use of the center better I find that's lots of times I can hear the sides over taking the center and I "think" if i had a little larger full range center it would help.

Actually, having a mismatched center is often IDEAL in many cases, such as with speaker series like the Cores where the L/R bookshelves are great but the manufacturer decided to [email protected] the center knowing very well that most consumers are very gullible and quick to swallow the "timbre matching" folklore, especially if the center happens to be on the smallish side and thus easier to fit inside a TV cabinet as well as garner higher WAF. One of the most common myths in a myth-filled hobby, in fact.

What you can do to see if you can improve your Core center's performance:

1. Play with different crossover settings...some center speakers produce better clarity with a higher crossover than the standard 80Hz.

2. Tweak positioning: make sure the center's tweeter is either at ear level or pointing up at ear level at the main listening position using rubber doorstop wedges.

3. Tweak positioning: if the center is pushed back inside the cabinet, pull it forward so that its front edge is aligned with the front edge of the shelf it's sitting on. Better yet, pull it even more forward so that it juts out 1-3 inches from the front edge of its shelf.

4. Tweak positiioning: put felt or rubber feet that's often sold for furniture, in order to decouple the speaker from the shelf, by at least 1/8" of an inch or more.

5. Tweak positioning: if there is a coffee table or some other obstruction between your main listening position and the center, remove it if possible.

If none of the above help in any significant way to your ears, then by all means toss it---Craigslist, eBay, etc. The center is the real backbone/workhorse of any HT setup (doing at least 80% of the audio output) and far too important to accept any compromises.

At the very least, using a single Core bookshelf as the center will probably yield significant improvement. However having had both, I'd say that the extra dough for the aforementioned Emotiva C1 is cash supremely well spent. The C2 would probably be even better.
Thanks for the response
I have actually already done most of the suggestions you provided a long time ago most just out of common sense to cure movement vibration dampening ect

I think some tweaking and a better grasp on how room correction sets the cross over so that I can adjust that better will be a start. RC set everything @40Hz except the subs and it set them @120
very hard to explain but my last onkyo seem to make use of the center better I find that lots of times I can hear the sides over taking the center and I "think" if I had a little larger full range center it would help.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
The L&R seem ok

I sit about 9 feet from the center and its in a cabinet about Knee high I know that's not ideal but that's wife approved and a compromise

I listen to it pretty loud for music and movies you feel both on the receiver it ranges from 60 to 85 roughly

very hard to explain but my last onkyo seem to make use of the center better I find that's lots of times I can hear the sides over taking the center and I "think" if i had a little larger full range center it would help.

Thanks for the response
I have actually already done most of the suggestions you provided a long time ago most just out of common sense to cure movement vibration dampening ect

I think some tweaking and a better grasp on how room correction sets the cross over so that I can adjust that better will be a start. RC set everything @40Hz except the subs and it set them @120
very hard to explain but my last onkyo seem to make use of the center better I find that lots of times I can hear the sides over taking the center and I "think" if I had a little larger full range center it would help.
Make sure all speakers are set to small in the AVR. Set your crossover to 80-90 for the mains and try 100-110hz for the center. I'm not familiar with your AVR, but if you have a dialogue adjustment feature like most Denon's, you should turn that on. You'll typically find that in the audio sub-menu. A better center would be a good idea, but you may want to try this first if you haven't already.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Have you simply tried raising the center channel level a bit... say +2 or +3? If the sides are louder than your center, forget the automated EQ settings... just raise the center.

And if your Onkyo has Audyssey (or whatever equivalent it uses), turn off dynamic EQ, dynamic volume, and try audyssey flat. Give that a shot. Dynamic sounds weird to some people, and flat shouldn't roll off highs. Not sure what EQ your AVR has, and if not Audyssey, just check and make sure the equivalent isn't set.

That said, some folks here haven't been thrilled with the Core center. I tried a Core bookshelf as a center, and I found it okay. But just that, 'okay'... not great, nothing special, and in a larger room I'd probably like it a bit less. Something one could live with, but there was room for improvement. And a Core bookshelf as center has been mentioned as being better than the regular Core center here by some.

Again, I'd say give easy return options a try, either at BB or through online (the companies that have free returns that is). No harm in comparing what you have vs other options.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the responses I will make some adjustments and test drive that for a day or two. i feel like I have some where to start now

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
The L&R seem ok

Thanks for the response

If you've already tried all the options in Zorba's comment, then you are probably looking at getting a new center channel speaker as the solution. Not sure how well it would mesh with the Sonys, but the RSL CG23 has received good reviews for clarity and it's ability to get loud without distortion. You might give that a try, as returns are free, if I'm remembering correctly.

That said, if you are running the system poorly tuned, even a new speaker won't fix that. So, it would benefit you to give the Onkyo user manual a good once-over, to be sure you are getting all you can get out of the system.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
thanks for the responses I will make some adjustments and test drive that for a day or two. i feel like I have some where to start now
Try taking the center out of the cubby hole and place it on top of cabinet as an experiment. The wife may not like it, but I'm betting you'll get better results just by doing that.

Reactions: RayGuy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try taking the center out of the cubby hole and place it on top of cabinet as an experiment. The wife may not like it, but I'm betting you'll get better results just by doing that.

I totally agree with that whole statement but oddly enough my last few tv's don't sit high enough the bottom of the tv to the console is about 4 inches and i think when i measured the center was about 5.5 inches i really wish they would raise the tv stand about 2 more inches

·
Registered
12 Posts
I totally agree with that whole statement but oddly enough my last few tv's don't sit high enough the bottom of the tv to the console is about 4 inches and i think when i measured the center was about 5.5 inches i really wish they would raise the tv stand about 2 more inches
I was facing the exact same issue (Sony Core and various other centers stuffed too low into the media cabinet). If you can't wall mount, you can get one of these and raise your screen to the perfect height to fit the center below it.

https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Universal-Adjustable-Heavy-Table/dp/B01N1HXPVI

The center I have below my TV is about 7-1/8" tall and 22" wide.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was facing the exact same issue (Sony Core and various other centers stuffed too low into the media cabinet). If you can't wall mount, you can get one of these and raise your screen to the perfect height to fit the center below it.

https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Universal-Adjustable-Heavy-Table/dp/B01N1HXPVI

The center I have below my TV is about 7-1/8" tall and 22" wide.

that's interesting stand I am surprised the TV doesn't tip the way the stand is designed

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's my ghetto solution to that problem:

LOL I actually have some of those on my bed now. I wonder why TV engineers and speaker engineers don't talk to each other? of course most people probably wall mount these days all but my main room are wall mounted sadly i don't have that option because of windows

1 - 16 of 16 Posts