AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I bought an HT-SS2300 and last week I noticed that my FR speaker makes a clacking noise on higher volumes leading me to believe that the speaker is blow. I actually have 15 days on my warranty still left so I called Sony for a repair but unfortunately, I would have to send in my entire system, sub woofer included to get a single speaker serviced. So I continued to call and find out that Sony sells this speaker alone but it costs $51 which is probably comparable to the cost it would be to ship my entire system in for repairs. I continued to shop online a found a 5 piece speaker set from BDV-280 going on eBay for $50. I contacted support again to ask if switching out those speakers with mine as a set would work and they told me yes. I'm pretty confident now that such a replacement would be possible but wanted to double check for any opinions here. The Sony speakers are rated 3 ohm impedance on almost all their HTIB systems and usually the set as a whole is labeled 1000 watts. Also if anyone owns an older and newer version of Sony's HTIB I wanted to ask if there is a difference in quality between the speaker sets. I noticed that mine have a metal grill on the front in seem to be of higher build quality than the newer versions which have a cloth front cover. Essentially, will i loose quality by making the switch to a newer speaker system (seem counter-intuitive to even ask). Both systems are rated 1000 watts so both should sound the same, correct? I am just worried that over the years Sony could have gone with a cheaper manufacturing process and the theater systems may have suffered.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to the options before I make a decision and purchase.

·
Super Moderator
14,620 Posts
According to the Sony website for the HT-SS2300:
Quote:
Audio Power Output : 1000W (143w x 5 + 285w (1KHz, 10% THD))

Impedance : 3 ohms

According to the owner's manual for the BDV-E280:
Quote:
Front L + Front R: With 3 ohms loads, both channels driven, from 180 - 20,000 Hz; rated 60 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 1% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.

Other models:

POWER OUTPUT (rated)

Front L/Front R: 108 W + 108 W (at 3 ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD)

POWER OUTPUT (reference)

Front L/Front R/Center/Surround L/Surround R: 167 W (per channel at

3 ohms, 1 kHz)

Subwoofer: 165 W (at 3 ohms, 80 Hz)

Both sets of speakers are rated at 3 ohms. The connectors on the back of each unit look similar. The 2300 appears to put out less mystery (i.e., not RMS) watts to each speaker, but more mystery watts to the sub.

So, it looks like:

- You can connect the speaker set from the E280 to the 2300.

- The 2300 may overdrive the E280's sub although, without knowing what the sub itself is rated for, and whether the actual RMS output of the E280 and the 2300 are comparable, it's hard to say for certain.

Since the sub isn't what you need to replace, buying the E280 speaker set and using just the speakers (and not the sub) is probably a safe bet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eljaycanuck, thanks a lot for taking the time to check that. I kept doing more research into the options I have an came up with two more alternatives. I see that on eBay there is a seller selling speakers labeled ss-msp36s that came from HTS-S360. The shape of the speakers is exactly what mine looks like but in a different color. My concern is the model number. Do you think the difference only refers to the color of the speaker or the driver inside of it? If it is the same speaker then maybe that would be the best and cheapest option for me. Also, another seller is selling ss-srp23s from the same sound system that I have. Since the model number is different, does it mean that the surround speakers are weaker than the front speakers? Or again is this just referring to the sticker on the back of it that labels it BR instead of FR? Again, my blown speaker is ss-msp23s. So based on that, is it better to buy speaker labeled ss-msp36s instead of ss-msp23s that was designed to be a front speaker or buy a surround speaker that came from the same sound system and use it as a front speaker?

EDIT: I just opened up my surround speaker and my front speaker and found that the drivers seem to be identical except for the fact that the front speaker has a large magnet behind the driver while the back speaker does not. Still, there is a difference and I belive that rules out buying the surround speaker.

·
Super Moderator
14,620 Posts
The "msp" probably refers to "main speaker", while "srp" probably refers to surround speaker. Given that all four speakers (mains and surrounds) appear to be the same shape and size, have the same resistance and are driven by the same # watts to each channel, I don't think there's any issue with using an srp23s in place of an msp23s.

A quick way to check is to swap one of your current surrounds in place of the crapped-out speaker, listen to some audio (music, whatever) in stereo and see how that surround speaker sounds with the good main speaker. It should sound exactly the same.

Replacing your current main speakers with a pair of msp36s speakers would probably work fine, since they appear to be the same speaker, just with a different model # because they're part of a different HTiB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.